Apple Spice Brine for smoking or grilling...

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by DeWayne Knight, Jan 8, 2009.

1. DeWayne Knight

DeWayne Knight Elite Refuge Member

Ingredients:
    1 gallon cold water
    2 quarts apple juice
    2 quarts orange juice
    2 cup salt (3 cups Kosher or coarse salt)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    10 whole cloves
    1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
    Preparation:
    Pour apple and orange juice into a large pot over a medium heat. Add salt, brown sugar, cloves and nutmeg. Simmer for 15 minutes until salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Add cold water.
    Place poultry in a large plastic container. Pour brine over top. Brine poultry for 1 hour per pound in the refrigerator.

I used this recipe, and cut the quantities in half on the ingredients. I smoked Canada Goose breasts. I had the breast halves from three big honkers, (six breasts), and the amount of brine was ample. I actually injected mine, going in from the top edge in 4-5 places along the length of the breast. I then soaked all the meat in the brine for 48 hours before smoking over Mesquite chips.

Here is a photo of the result sliced and ready for serving:

[​IMG]

2. Wiz Bang

Wiz Bang Senior Refuge Member

This is an awesome brine!!! Thanks for sharing. I tried it out on some mallards a gadwall and a spoony. ducks last night and have some cooking right now. Everyone loved it. Very good. I had to 1/4 the recipee!!! Still turned out great.

3. nosuzies

nosuzies Senior Refuge Member

Looks great!

How long and at what temp would you recommend for boneless mallard filets on the smoker?

4. Wiz Bang

Wiz Bang Senior Refuge Member

I smoked my first batch at night in 20 degree temps out side. I had to put the box over the smoker to get it up to 160-170 degree's (I was hoping for 190's). First batch took 3 1/2 hours. 2nd batch I left in for 4. Didn't notice much difference.

the thin part under the breast (tender) turns into jerky (when set on it's own). So if you like jerky slice a few breasts thin and you'll get some. The meat is cooked well on the outside and meduim to rare on the inside. Great hot or chilled. None of it will last!

5. quack0905

quack0905 Elite Refuge Member

Put a couple cups of that mixture in a pan, heat it to bubbling, add 2-3 cloves of pressed garlic, some ground pepper. Than add enough corn startch and stir until it thickens to a consistency of pancake syrup or thicker.

Makes a great sauce to ladle lightly over your meat, which could be resting on a brown/wild rice mixture that has diced celery and crushed pecans in it that were put in the rice just after you turned the heat off.

Yummy ...

6. hamp123

hamp123 Elite Refuge Member

dammmmmmmmmmmmm

7. drakemaster6

drakemaster6 Senior Refuge Member

How long would you smoke a turkey breast and at what temp?