AR-15 Barrel Length??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by misfire, Aug 9, 2007.

1. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

AR-15 Barrel Length??

I?ve been lusting for an AR-15 for quite some time. I know exactly what I want in an AR with the exception of barrel length. The goal is an accurate/reliable 300 yard coyote/fox/bobcat killer in a compact package. Does anyone have any experience with an 18? barrel on an AR? I?d really like an 18? barrel but would go to 20? if necessary. I don?t want anything over 20?. I have other long guns for beyond 300 yards.

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

3. misfire

That's a nice rifle!

I'm looking at the RRA Varmint A4. They have a .75 MOA guarantee but I'm not sure what to expect beyond that with the short tube. If it is accurate enough to pop coyotes at 300yrds I'll be happy.

Thanks for the info!

4. Dee Tee

Dee Tee Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a RRA Standard A-4 with a 20" H-Bar. Sub MOA @ 100 no problem. Never shot 300 yrds., but would feel very comfortable doing so. If you multiply the .75 MOA guarantee x 3 (300 yrds) = 2.25" @ 300 yrds. I don't know if you can convert MOA calculations like this, but either way that gun (with the right ammo) will do well at 300 all day long.:tu

5. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

Inside an inch at a 100 should produce inside 3" at 300 yards but....

Sometimes a trigger is in order because lock time just isn't as fast and the triggers aren't as light on an auto. Something to think about when you stretch your barrel some.

6. jbdnew

jbdnew Senior Refuge Member

a 16" will be handier in the field but is much louder to me than a 20". I owned a 24" bull barrel upper briefly but it was to much for offhand shooting so I wound up with a 20" Bushmaster flaptop. I think the 20 is the best all around length. As stated above, RRA make some great uppers, its hard to wrong with them.

7. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

8. huntinwithlabs

huntinwithlabs Senior Refuge Member

I have a 18" fluted stainless mid weight Sabre Defence barrel, 1:8 twist, that I think is just about perfect for chaisng yotes and whatever else might come your way. I shoot with a 3.5x10 mil dot Nikon and its a great combo. Its a far better shooter than I ever will be :D

9. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

misfire,
    I own a RRA A4 with a Wilson SS 16" varmint barrel and it will shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with Winchester (white box) or UMC 45gr. JHP bullets. tu

The 16" barrel is very handy in the woods. ;) My A4 has a National Match trigger, which is well worth it. It also has a Hogue combat grip (green), aluminum free-float tube, collapsable stock (green) and a flat top upper. I changed the optics depending on the hunting seasons.
    [​IMG]

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

10. misfire

Thanks for all the input!

I spoke with a local RRA Dealer the other day and he said that he can fix me up. I want to start with a factory Varmint A4 with an 18" barrel. Next I'd like to swap out the mid length tube for a full length tube and the regular stock for a collapsable 6 position model. He was trying to sell me on a quad rail but I have no use for one. A plain ole' round aluminum tube will be just fine for me.

The dealer stated that for most of his customers the 3/4" was a "worst case scenerio". He has many reports of the Varmint model shooting 1/2 minute and some around 3/8 with factory ammo. I know how dealers can be but by doing all the research I've been doing I feel pretty confident that the rifles can shoot.

The dealer said he could get me the rifle, do the swapping on the free float tube and stock and have me out the door for about $1,100.00. If I just buy the stock rifle as it comes from the factory it is $975.00 out the door. He said he would swap me straight across for the stocks but would have to charge a bit for the longer forearm because of the need to add a longer gas tube, new block and about a 1/2hr labor charge. At any rate, I think it will be cheaper to get it the way I want it rather than go back later and buy a new stock, free float tube, gas tube, block and put it together. Does that sound right or am I confused?

A couple of scope questions...

How well do the red dot scopes work on varmints at ranges beyond 100 yards?

If I go with a conventional scope do I need raised rings? If so, how high? On my regular rifles I shoot with "medium" height rings but I don't know how that translates over to the AR platform.....especially with the small stock. (assume a 40mm objective diameter)