AR-15 Barrel Length??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by misfire, Aug 9, 2007.

1. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Did they tell you what ammo/grain bullet they get the best grouping with ?

2. MallardAddict

MallardAddict Elite Refuge Member

I shoot a slightly modified bushamster with an eotech red dot and have made hits out to 200 yds with the sight no problem. I do have a quad rail as i bought the gun for a work assignment and needed to have a fore grip and light etc, but may turn it back to a normal freefloat tube one of these days. I have a 3.5-10 scopefor it but cannot recall what rings it uses or the height

Attached Files:

3. Wackaquack

Wackaquack Senior Refuge Member

"He was trying to sell me on a quad rail but I have no use for one. A plain ole' round aluminum tube will be just fine for me. "

Misfire, just a thought. If you are really into varmint hunting, some day you'll probably want to be able to add some light. A side rail is real nice to have for that if you don't like to stack on your scope like me.

4. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

misfire,
    I'm sure prices have gone up, but just to be sure check out Adco Firearms in Sylvania, Ohio. I purchased the one pictured above for $830 out the door, about 3 years ago.
    www.adcofirearms.com

An Eotech may have a smaller or more defined dot, than the Pro Point that's on my A4. I shot a coyote this spring at 130 yards, but had to shoot him 3 times to put him down. Most of the shots were body hits.....not where I would've like them to be, but then again, he was running too. :rolleyes:

I like a red dot for quicker target aquisition, ie., running shots. I have a Nikon 3x9x40 on it at the time, but that's for the groundhogs and it may come back off for coyote hunting this winter.

RRA has a one-piece scope base/mount and depending on where you purchase it it can be $49 to $79 bucks.
    [​IMG]

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

5. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

Again, thanks for the info everyone!

I'm almost ready to drop some cash on a new rifle. I have the money it's just a matter of deciding exactly what configuration I want. 70% of me is saying to buy the 18" barrel but the 30% that is telling me to buy a 20" barrel is slowing my purchasing progress. I guess I'll have to handle them to make a final decision.

Bowhunter, he didn't say what load everyone was shooting. I'm getting conflicting info. concerning what he told me about swapping out the "mid length" tube for a "full length" tube.

I have spoken to another dealer that said I need a low profile gas block that will fit under the exteneded forearm. The bull barrel makes that a problem. He said that it is possible to "modify" (grid) the stock gas block down so that it would fit but it would be labor intensive. Does that sound right?

6. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

If you will be doing a ton of walking while varmint hunting, get the shorter barrel. If you will be setting up calling, go with either one.
    I bought the 16" and wished I would have bought the 18 to keep muzzle blast down. Cant wait to see yer rig posted up.

7. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

misfire,
    I'm not sure if I have a mid-length free-float tube or what, but it's 7" by actual measurement and the gas block is sitting just ahead of it. The gas block could not fit under the aluminum free-float tube that I have on my A4.

My AR is called a 16" Varmint A4, according to Rock River Arms' website. I am extremely satisfied with the accuracy, function, cost, quality, etc. of this AR. :tu It's accuracy, with box ammo, is as good as or better than most bolt action rifles and for the hunting that I use it for it serves me VERY WELL. :yes

Here is another picture of it with Tactical Sights. :)
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your choices!
    Good hunting, Bowhunter57

8. misfire

Your rifle is the same model I'm looking at except of course I'm wanting an 18" barrel. The 16" model has a "carbine" length free float tube, the 18" has a "mid" length tube and the longer barrels have a "rifle" length free float tube.

What I want to do is put a "rifle" length tube on the 18" barrel. This means that the only a couple inches of barrel would protrude beyond the free float tube. The problem is I have to find a low profile gas block that fits the thicker bull barrel and still clears the free float tube. One dealer is saying "no problem" and the other (Premier RRA dealer and custom rifle builder) is telling me we would have to modify the existing block because he unaware of a commercial block that would fit my "wants".

I know I'm being a bit picky about the float tube but I want the tube extended for a couple of reasons. One, I can mount two studs on the tube and have the bipod forward of the sling. I hate having to share the sling swivel with the bipod. The rifle always wants to creep down and push the bipod into your shoulder and neck. The second is that I can shoot off bags without having to remove the bipod. I know it is being picky but if I can get it the way I want it, why not? If it turns out to be too tough I may end up getting a quad rail that will clear the gas block.

Hopefully I'll have some picks to share in the next week or so.

Thanks for all the input!

9. hillbillyhunter

hillbillyhunter Elite Refuge Member

I have a out of the box bushmaster with a 20in. I killed a coyote (1 shot at) at 480yrds last year with it. I have shot milk jugs at 500 with it also. I dont know if you are with a member , Ghak99, here on the forum but he has seen me do it. I was using the cheap winchester 45 gr. ammo. So iw ould say that an 18in barrell would be no prob a 300. you would ahve to get to know the gun first.

10. misfire

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I ordered a factory built RRA Varmint A4 with an 18" barrel and CAA collapsable stock today.

It should be here next week. I'll post some pics up when it arrives. :grvn