AR-15 Barrel Length??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by misfire, Aug 9, 2007.

1. yellowlab03

yellowlab03 Elite Refuge Member

Missfire, go with the midlength. It is more reliable than the Rifle length and the Carbine length. That was kind of the principle of the midlength.

YL03

2. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate your input!

My AR arrived today. I went with my gut and bought the 18" RRA Varmint A4 with the CAA 6 pos stock. This was a factory built rifle with full warranty. The cool thing about the CAA stock is that you can mount an adjustable height cheek piece for the perfect wield. I'll definatly buy that pretty soon.

I'm still waiting on the scope mounts and scope though. Hopefully everything will arrive before next weekend. I went with the Armalite one piece ring/base combo. It gives more flexibility for eye relief adjustment and brings the scope up to the proper height. I have also ordered a Leupold Mark 4 PR 3.5 X10. It may be here by the end of the week but most likely it will be next week before I see it.

I'll post up more pics when I get it put together. I'm dying to shoot it!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. yellowlab03

Good lookin rig man!

YL03

4. misfire

Done!

Woo Hoo!

Everything came in today so I've got it all mounted up and ready to take to the range. Thanks for the help and advice everyone! Hopefully it will shoot half as good as it looks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jjohnson_714

jjohnson_714 Senior Refuge Member

6. Wackaquack

Wackaquack Senior Refuge Member

She's a beaut Misfire!!:tu

That looks like a Harris bipod up front (?) What length did you go with - it looks just about right to me. I'm wrapping up a .204 Shillen AR build and just need to decide on the pod.

7. misfire

It is a Harris 6- 9" "bench" model. I actually stole it off my Sendero. The 9" works great if your laying prone and don't have any tall grass or shrubbery to shoot over.

Harris bipods are great. If you are going to buy a Harris and use it in the field I'd strongly recommend getting the "tilting" model. It makes field shooting much easier.

I found a B-Square "roto-tilt" bipod on sale at Cabela's for the Sendero. Hopefully it will be a bit more versatile in the than the "rigid" Harris was. The B-Square will tilt and rotate but doesn’t seem as well built as the Harris. Only time and usage will tell. I am excited that the B-Square is tall enough that I can shoot kneeling or sitting.

Please give me all the details of your .204 build. I'm researching what it takes to get a .204 AR for a buddy of mine. For some reason he has the AR Bug but doesn’t want a .223. The only ones I can find are the 2,000.00 Les Baur (sp?) and the DPMS.

8. yellowlab03

Why not build it?

YL03

9. misfire

To be honest I have no clue what I (my buddy) would need. He isn't internet savy so I told him I'd do the research. He is quite serious about the rifle though..

Does the .204 take the same carrier group, magazine, lower etc.. as the .223? Getting a barrel would be easy enough but I'm not sure about everything else.

What major components would be needed to build a .204 AR?
    What components are interchangeable?
    How is the .204 headspaced?
    I'm sure I'd have a million other questions but building it seems like it would be MUCH cheaper and more fun than buying one of the few commercially available models out there.

10. misfire

We'll, it's been a couple of weeks and I thought I'd post a progress report to finish this thread off.

I have had a chance the shoot the rifle on a few occasions and I wasn't disapointed. All my worries about the short 18" barrel have been laid to rest.

About 200 rounds of different bullets/weights have gone down the tube and I found a factory load the gun really likes. I can't believe this little rifle shoots so good with factory loads. I wish I had bought one years ago.

Three shot groups at 100 yards are practically hole in hole and 5 shots string out around 3/4". Three shot groups at 200 yards can be covered with a quarter and 5 shot groups hovered between 1.25" and 1.5".

I really wanted a 300 yard capable rifle when I bought this gun and if the 100 and 200 yard groups are any indication of how it will shoot at 300 then it looks like this puppy will work perfectly for what I wanted. Unfortunatly, the 300 yard range was closed when we went so I was only able to shoot at 100 and 200. With a 100 yard poa/poi zero I had to dial 1 minute to obtain a perfect 200 yard poa/poi zero. I'm really curious how much I'll need at 300. We'll see....

The dime was shot at 100 yards. (I actually shot better groups at 100 but the dime was more dramatic so I included it in the pic.) The quarter was shot at 200 yards.
    [​IMG]

I love this stuff!:yes