AR-15 Barrel Length??

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by misfire, Aug 9, 2007.

1. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

What grain bullet and factory load did it liked the best ?

2. Wackaquack

Wackaquack Senior Refuge Member

Misfire, Sorry I've been asleep at the wheel and had not been to this site for awhile. I have been extremely pleased with the .204. If you want to try it, here's some 411.

I did a ground up build but if your buddy has a standard lower w/ a good trigger group just build an upper and you can share it on that beaut you just got. COMPLETELY INTERCHANGABLE :clap

Barrel; 24" Shilen match .204 Ruger w/ 9" twist comes with matching numbered bolt and barrel that are already headspaced by Shilen. $351.99 from Midway. Bull barrel .920 dia.

The stock bolt carrier, upper, magazine, trigger, lower, stock, buffer from any AR-15 can be used. You will need to add a floating fore end, I used Badger Ordinance because of the flat bottom configuration for bench & bag shooting. The Badger was a little quirky in that I had to get creative in obtaining proper torque of barel nut. A tube fore end that uses a standard barrel nut is much simpler. For the upper I went w/ Vltor and a Les Baer .223 National Match carrier. For the gas block, JP Enterprises makes a .936 version with an adjustment screw for adjusting gas pressure to the carrier. If you scavenge a .223 AR, you will only need a new gas block, barrel and fore end to be shooting .204.

Midway has on their site a .204 upper build with pictures and instructions this same barrel. Search their site for "Bulding the Ultimate AR-15 Varmint Rifle (Upper Assembly)" which is the title to their 30 page document. This is the confidence builder that helped me start my build.

The Ruger .204 is a necked down 222 Remington Mag and the case is a little longer than the .223. If you want maximum cartridge range potential, go w/ the 9" twist. However, not having tried them, I understand that that barrel may shread the 4000+fps 34.grain bullets. If you want to shoot the 34 gr bullets, go with the 12" twist, however, that barrel may not stabilize the 45 grain bullet to your satisfaction. Factory Hornady 40 gr. V-Max give me 1/2" @ 100 right out of the box. I'm on a quest for a lot better and much farther though and have been loading 50 gr VLD bullets for single shot w/ the 9 twist. The Hornady 45 grain Custom cartidges cycle fine in the standard AR-15 magaxine w/out modification.

I'll post up some images and details from my build if someone can clue me in on how I attach images to these posts:h

3. misfire

misfire Senior Refuge Member

Skiebuster,
    First off let me say that I wasn't disapointed with in any of the loads tried. The gun shot most everything very well. I think the worst shooter in the bunch (68gr HP) was around 1.25" for 5 round groups.

The bullets/weights that I tried were the following:
    Red Box Black Hills 75gr Match HP
    Blue Box Black Hills 60gr Moly V-Max
    Blue Box Black Hills 68gr Match HP

The bullet that my gun REALLY likes is the 60gr Moly V-Max.

I have bought a Red Box of Black Hills 60gr V-Max without the Molly to try out. If it shoots as well as the Molly coated V-Max I'll swap over to the non-coated bullets.

Wackaquack,
    Thanks, for the write-up. I should have updated my info request because my buddy bought a DPMS .204. He got a great deal; NIB he paid $700.00 from a listing I found on AR-15.com. What a deal!

It shoots pretty good. It has a 1/12 24" barrel so he is somewhat limited to bullet weight. Five shot groups were just under 1 Minute with the Winchester BST. It is amazing considering the rifle has the WORST trigger of any gun I've ever fired. When my buddy let me shoot it I double checked to make sure I had disengaged the saftey after tugging on the trigger for several seconds. I didn't have my gage but I'd bet that the thing breaks at 30lbs. A new trigger is fourthcoming.

Please post pics of your build. I'd love to see it!

The easiest way to post pics on any fourm is to host them at another site and just post the photo link into the text of your posts. The way you do this is:

1. Go to a free photo hosting site and register. (I like www.photobucket.com)
    2. Upload your photo to the free hosting site.
    3. Once your photo has been uploaded you copy the link from the webpage and paste it here.
    4. That's it!

If you have any questions just give me a shout!

4. G.Loomisman

G.Loomisman Elite Refuge Member

nice guns guys. :tu

got my RRA midlength not to long ago. awsome guns.

5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

Misfire

I found the Hornady Tap 75 grainers grouped the best in my RRA.
    I shot some blue box black hills in 68 grain and it was less than 1.5 but the Taps rocked.
    thanks for the reply.

6. Wackaquack

Wackaquack Senior Refuge Member

7. skiduck

skiduck Elite Refuge Member

Odessa,TX....but usually on a wellsite dropping fi
    Yo misfire...

Give me a shout...

817-647-5214

Later,
    Ski