AR under $600?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Meach, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Can you get a decent, reliable basic AR for $600 or less? Which one would you recommend? Thanks for any opinions/

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I have a DPMS Panther. Flat top, so easy to put scope, and removable, fold down sights, if you want.
    Mine groups just under an inch off the bench, and I am NOT a great rifle shot. I can bang the gong at 300 yards all day long (12" round) I put the Nikon BDC 3-9 scope on it. Also like that.

I would also look at Smith n Wesson and Ruger.

Honestly, at that price point, they are all going to be the same. Decent barrels, rough trigger, but probably all shoot under 1.5". You can upgrade the trigger, which I would recommend on anything at that price point. It will save you 1/2". It did for me.

3. Meach

Native, thanks. Anyone else?

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

You could buy a Palmetto complete upper and lower - with recent issues, another mini-run on them. Just make sure it is mil-spec and then you can drop any upper you want on it.

5. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

I would say the best thing you could do is the same that native said to do get a gun and upgrade the trigger. I would upgrade every AR trigger!

1 Avenue you might want to look at is to get a complete lower and a complete upper and assemble them yourself. The trick to that is with the complete upper going on to a complete lower that you assemble yourself you can get a little bit better Barrel and possibly if you're into it get a different caliber than say 223 or .556.

6.8 SPC is a absolutely great round for whitetail deer Antelope coyote what have you. You're able to do this on a standard AR-15 frame with just a different upper.

Caliber not being a problem I would recommend 556 over a .223 caliber Barrel so that you can shoot both rounds although the .223 will not shoot as well as the 556 NATO round out of that Barrel.

With the rounds that are available today I would really recommend looking at a .223 Wylde Barrel this will allow you to fire both the .223 and the 5.56 NATO with good to Great accuracy no matter which one you fire it's a really neat way to go that somebody should have thought of sooner.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Any barrel stamped mil-spec will shoot both 5.56 & .223 Remington rounds. A gun club member at last night's meeting was telling of one of his largest suppliers selling out in ~72 hours...~4.3K rifles.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

You can get entry level AR's for under $400. For under $600 you can get one that will shoot MOA or better if you shop your parts. Palmetto lower with EPT trigger and palmetto upper with 18" stainless 1/7 upper will shoot sub MOA at 100 with the right ammo. I've gotten .84" 5 shot groups with black hills ammo through mine.
    Radical Arms has an upper with a "match grade" barrel on it that is a really good price right now as well; not sure of the quality, just saw it in an email the other day. For more of a duty type configuration, S&W, Ruger, Windham, Palmetto, etc. all have M4 type carbines around $600.

8. killerv

killerv Elite Refuge Member

You can, but they are finally starting to go up, what used to be 500 is now 600 and most are out of stock. Friend of mine did find a m&p15 optics ready version for 499 this AM with free shipping. Hard to beat a S&W price wise on an entry level AR. I'm curious what the prices will be when everything is back in stock again. You can get a freefloated PSA AR for what you can a nonfreefloated Smith or DPMS, etc. I picked up a lightweight PSA midlength stainless barrelled upper and it is now my truck/woods gun. I love it and light enough for the kids to handle it. The Ruger MPR was a heck of a deal at 550-575, but prices are rising on it now.

Buddy says their cost on a M&P Sport II with irons is up to 480 now where he used to be able to sell them for 499 if he wanted.

9. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

I have a Ruger AR556. I like it. Shoots well. Has never FTF even on the cheap Ruskie steel case ammo. I put a Nikon P223 1.5 x 4.5 scope on it. Ready for the zombie apocalypse.

10. Meach

Appreciate all the advice. I just bought a S&W M&P 15. Bought at a local sporting goods store so anticipated paying a little more. Had seen them advertised for $600 but basically out of stock every where I checked. So I paid $675. Got the last one at this store. Tried to get salesman to come down but he said under present circumstances he would easily sale it at that pice. I traded a pistol I didn't want anymore.