Are any alaska guides around?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by waterswatter, Jul 24, 2017.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

A couple of them used to advertise here but I don't see them listed.

Beings that my wife went to Europe and left me home working, I figured I may as well look into doing an Alaska duck hunt.

2. swamp jumper

swamp jumper Refuge Member

Same boat as you heavily researching Alaska now I am getting down to a couple bucket list trips left. If your looking for a hunt for barrows, harlequin and scoters I would look at Valdez or Seldovia from what I have seen. Alaska Wildfowl Adventures in Valdez guide Tim http://www.akduckhunts.com/ Seldovia Hunting Charters guide Buck http://alaskaduckhunting.com/. Let me know if you find something else that sounds interesting for that type of combo. If your looking for King Eiders there are only two players in that game guiding on St. Paul and even less than that going after pacifics in Adak. I want to do either Valdez or Seldovia for the scenery and variety of birds I am rapidly closing in on the 32 duck species in North America, need a mottled, both goldeneyes, harlequin, common eider and a king to complete it.

I think the reason your not seeing the guides on the forum as heavy is that facebook is where they get more exposure now just a hunch but I think it is a good one.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I need a king, a fulvous and a spring ruddy. I also need a colored up bwt and cinnamon.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Well gentlemen,

He's hoping you both get yours, and one day I get to make it up there to hunt! I wanna go back!!!!!!!!! LOL

5. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

What exactly is a 'Spring Ruddy' as opposed to a Fall Ruddy?

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Fall ruddy's look like a potato. Spring ruddy's are actually a fairly striking looking bird.

Spring
    [​IMG]

Fall
    [​IMG]

7. Fsbirdhouse

I see, but isn't the Fly in the Buttermilk the fact Spring Ruddy Ducks only happen in 'THE SPRING'.
    There's no open season is there?

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, I didn't understand that either. I was just explaining the difference. We used to see a lot of em trout fishing in NV

9. Fsbirdhouse

I guess I've see 'em here too in the Summer months, but never where I duck hunt.

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

You can shoot ruddys in breeding plumage during hunting season, its rare but does happen. You can hunt ducks clear into Februaryor march in Mexico, so most people try to get their breeding plumage ruddy down there.