Ark. and La. Pintail numbers???

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by snapp, Dec 28, 2003.

1. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

the last few days we have been seeing an unusual amount of pintails (for this time of year). most years they have already be3en here and gone by now and start returning from the south around the 8th to 10 of january. just trying to decide if these birds are running that late on their migration or have they already been down south and jumped back for the warmer weather???

have you south Ark. and La. boys been seeing the numbers yet and lost them?

sad part about this type of pintail numbers... they will vanish on january 4th :(

2. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

snapp, the ones in the bootheel are just coming down from the north. that may be the case there too. i think the whole migration is running behind this year for lack of a lot of different things that people love to argue about and guess about. i'm saying there hasn't been near enough bad, bad weather to the north. think back over the years and i know you've seen it. we used to get hard cold fronts straight from the north. the ducks would come bucking a south wind a day ahead of those fronts. we haven't had those kind of hard cold fronts straight from the north. they are coming more out of the northwest. all in all though it has been a real good season so far.

olduckhunter

3. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Pintail never really got to SW Louisiana, there's a few but the usaual numbers are off. I've seen the same thing that Olduckhunter said about the fronts not coming from due north like they used to.

4. WisWoody

WisWoody Moderator-Wisconsin Flyway Moderator

Snapp please keep a few around for us please,I'll e-mail you the Northern guys secrets to keeping ducks around for the winter:D

On another note we are starting to unthaw again,who would of ever thought we would get rain after x-mas??? Southern part of the state is still holding lots of waterfowl yet

5. mallarddrake007

mallarddrake007 Senior Refuge Member

Still seeing a bunch of pintail's in South East Ark. Don't know why they split the season & limit us to only one. Why not leave it open and give us one a day even if it is limited to drakes only. I hope we are having a late migration, but if you believe the article in the Democrat a few weeks ago and the duck count for Louisiana it looks like they pushed through without stopping. We had a good week on Mallards the week before Christmas, but it had slowed on down by the Monday before Christmas.

6. puddleduck

puddleduck Elite Refuge Member

South End Of Warrior Bottoms, East Corner of the S
    Snapp,
    How have you guys been doing up in your area? It seems that in general Arkansas is having another tough year. We hunt about 17 miles south of Brinkley and it has been another slow year for us. :(

7. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

with the big pintail push...or what i am hoping was the push, that means there are still a load of birds to the north. i felt if these were birds already returning back from the south, it might not change numbers from here to where we are now.

as to how we are doing...real good over all, but just to be honest, i am about ready to turn our timber into toothpicks:( the timber had been hurting (whipping my rear) our averages real bad. things will be there one day and the next day you may see one fifth of the day before. then to days later, they may be back???

through yesterday...fields were holding an average of 5.28 birds per hunter per day. timber, through yesterday...2.9 birds per hunter per day. thank the lord that we're talking a lot more people in to shooting flooded fields. combined total per hunter per day is 4.66 birds. this is one of the best long run averages i can remember, even with tough consistancy in the timber!!!!!!

also, while i would not have believed the difference it would make, we are resting a lot more ground and have an average of two days a week we are not hunting any ground! it has sure helped us keep birds for longer periods...and some are even easier to decoy:) if pintail were open right now, we would have that field average up even more...BUT, BUT, BUT

8. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

i there are and have even seen a lot of tamies in your area too. what aren't killed will naturally go wild if they are like the ones i used to raise a long time ago. they made good decoys too.

olduckhunter

9. Longstory

Longstory Senior Refuge Member

Snapp, I'm like you on the ducks may still be north of us! I Hope!:confused: We are starting oto see what you are down here on the Grand Prairie. Seems that the early November migration may just be starting. At the first of the season all we had was Teal & local ducks, with a few Grays in the mix. Nothing else to speak of. We have thousands of acres of minnow farms in the area that normally have been covered up with scrap ducks before now. Just now starting to see some of them sitting on the ponds. Yes, the Pintails are just making it, a few Mallards are starting to drift South, all the Teal have almost left. So if the timing plays out the rest of the season like it has so far, we should see the big push sometime around the middle of Feburary to the first of March!!!!:rolleyes:

I don't know what the deal is with the timber this year is either! Our timber holes have been less productive this year than they ever have. May scrap out a few birds now & again, but for the most part, the only places that one would call good spots, & that hadn't been real good, have been the big open water on reseviors & lakes, & large clean rolled rice fields. And like I said, they have been good one day & duds for 3 or 4 days after that.

I guess this is why it's called hunting, not killing! But I dont know about the rest of you all, but I'm getting a little tired of hearing the same ole song sung every year! Ready for some different music!!!!!:nutz

10. puddleduck

puddleduck Elite Refuge Member

South End Of Warrior Bottoms, East Corner of the S
    Charles,
    Glad you guys are having some success, You must have some pretty good fields. I have talked to some people that say if they rest their fields for a few days they kill some birds when they go back to hunt, but the second day there are no ducks. :confused: