Armadillo poppers

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Trav28, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Trav28

Trav28 Elite Refuge Member

No, there's no armadillo in it, although that would be interesting. We had some volunteers from Texas this year and they made some outrageous Jalapeno poppers. My wife has made them several times since and they're just too good not to share, so here goes.

40-60 Jalapenos

2 cups cooked white rice

1 1/2 lbs cooked bulk sausage (not in casings)

1 - 1 1/2 cups shedded cheese (whatever you prefer)

Hushpuppy mix.

First, cut the top off the peppers and core out the ribs. A cheap veggie peeler works great

2. Blanch peppers for about 15 minutes in water. I just bring a big pot to a boil and turn off the heat when I add the peppers. This helps soften the skin and makes them easier to bite.

3. Mix the cheese, rice, and sausage together. You can fine tune the proportions of each, I don't think you can add too much sausage or cheese, but that's just me.

4. Stuff peppers with mixture. Try to not trap air at the tip.

5. Mix hushpuppy batter a little thin, just thick enough to coat.

6. Dip stuffed peppers into egg, cornmeal, and then batter and fry for about 3 minutes.

These also reheat very well in the oven. They get mushy in the microwave.

2. GO REBS

GO REBS Elite Refuge Member

If you like that try these

whole pickled peppers- seeded w/ stems
    boudain
    mozarella cheese sticks
    bread crumbs
    egg wash

take the whole peppers and make a slice from top to bottom. remove the seeds and veins. open it up and form a pocket
    place a 1" piece of the cheese stick in there. add a spoonful of the boudain on top. pack it in good and form a ball shape.
    roll in egg wash then bread crumbs and refrigerate till your ready to fry
    before you fry them roll them in the egg wash and bread crumbs again.
    fry at 325-350 till brown.

the mozarella will be melted in the middle of the boudain with a crunchy crust. thyll make you slap your mama.

I make these when we tailgate at football games. We usually fry OREOS after we eat all the peppers and drink all the bourbon!!!!!!!!!!

GO REBS