Armyworms

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Plainsman04, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

They got us over the weekend. Wiped out 110 acres of millet!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fine last week and 99.9% gone today.

2. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

What wiped out your millet? The black birds are eating all of our millet.

3. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

What do these army worms look like?

4. Clayton

Armyworms

5. Plainsman04

Plainsman04 Senior Refuge Member

That sucks! I feel your pain. I've got maybe 2 acres of milo that has bounced back but the rest of it is g-o-n-e. I only started with about 12. I don't know what 110 feels like!

Those suckers have been bad this year. Been wiping out hayfields left and right in some places from what I hear. I had a moth that looked kinda like the armyworm moths land on my truck this afternoon and I knocked that sucker down and ground him into the parking lot just out of spite. :mad:

6. Clayton

"I had a moth that looked kinda like the armyworm moths land on my truck this afternoon and I knocked that sucker down and ground him into the parking lot just out of spite."

I would do the same and then some!

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Ha, I mashed a handful of them finger deep into the soil last week when I found them .... a grudge killing of sorts too. But it may have come back to haunt me because I've now lost almost half of my millet, even after spraying.

Clayton, do you have any before and after photos? And can small plants (4-5") go from green to brown in two days time? I ask because my guy sprayed Steward (millet safe) on it Thursday morning. All was good Friday but when my hunting partner checked Sat afternoon it looked like someone had sprayed almost half of it with a grass killer. Called my spray guy who said he triple washed out the tank prior to spraying so shouldn't have gotten a residual spray? Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from him as he was gonna look at it.

8. Clayton

No pics before/after but looked like a lawn in need of mowing last week and is bare dirt today except for the morning glory, which they have also resorted to eating. Took a few close pics today just showing the worms and feeding on the last 00.01% left.

If full brown I would say you are SOL. I don't see the armyworms causing the browning.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I noticed the browning was occurring on the bottom leaves where they were eating. Now all that is pretty much bare dirt, like yours. Didn't know if the browning was caused by the stress or some other condition. Regardless, the worms took care of it before the spray took effect.

10. duckhawk-55

duckhawk-55 Sponsor Sponsor

Run a test before mixing Sevin liquid and 2,4D or glyphosate. I had armyworms too, in millet and milo. When I started spraying , I had some herbicide residue in spray rig. The Sevin "clabbered" for lack of a better word. Made solid flakes that stopped up sprayer. After much cleaning of sprayer, the Sevin sprayed fine, and worms are hammered.