Armyworms

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Plainsman04, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Hard to see them unless you can zoom in on the picture and then pan around. Then you will see there are a bunch of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Holy crap Clayton, they're mature and are everywhere! They have indeed cleaned you out. Sorrow to see that.

I found out today that the insecticide (Steward) is the cause of the dying millet. Apparently you don't want to spray young, tender millet under hot and humid conditions. But the good news is a lot of it is greening back up. But the worms did some of it almost to the ground.

3. Clayton

Never would have thought the insecticide would have browned the millet. Hot and humid is a given this time of year!

All of those stems in the picture are morning glory that they switched to after wiping out the millet. I was getting ready to spray the morning glory because it had gotten bad but in the end no use bothering.

4. Uncle.Lou

Uncle.Lou Senior Refuge Member

Clayton, thank you for the pictures. Those army worms look like cattapillars to me. By the name (army worms) I thought they were worms in the ground. Never sen army worms in Ohio. Sad news about your loss of jap millet. The black birds are destroying our millet. Can you spray jap millet with 2-4 D, worked good on the milo. If not, what do spray on jap millet for weed control? Thank you.

5. Clayton

Yes the name is misleading. Armyworms are the catapillar stage of a moth. Don't know the name of it off the top of my head.

Yes Japanese millet can be sprayed with 2,4-D Amine. Make sure you use the Amine and not Ester.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Me too. It's August in the south! But a conversation (not with me) from that chemical rep said that the browning occurred because the millet was so young and would not have happened on more mature plants. The pictures I got yesterday do show what appears to be large, healthy plants. I'm going up this weekend to lay my eyes on it so I'll have a real handle on just what has transpired. But it does appear it's not as bad as first reported.

7. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

I can sympathize... army worms cleaned out my two (2) small plantings this weekend as well :mad:. I had Jap millet, WGF sorghum & corn planted.

I first noticed them on Saturday and couldn't get back until last night to spray. It looks like someone bushhogged the top 3" of growth. Spraying last night may have been an effort in futility. I'm gonna check it this Sunday and then develop plan B.

Since I'm down in Florida, I may just disk and re-plant since I may have enough time. It's just hard to get Jap millet seed in NW Florida.

8. BT

BT Senior Refuge Member

Just back from the club. Millet is GONE due to army worms. Never had them before, nor any real pest problem in food plots. Is it just weather conditions? Have I done something that brought them on? Have one smaller, so far untouched patch of millet about 200 yds away. Going to spray worms tomorrow. Should I spray untouched patch as well as a precaution?

9. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

Well...they're hammering my millet too. Last week it was nice and green, checked it tonight and it's 50% gone. It's young and what's left is distressed. I hope it can handle the Sevin. Somehow I can't help but think I wouldn't have got them if I hadn't read this thread! :)

I expected to see them on every stalk like Clayton's pic, but I could only find...and violently smash about 10 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  10. Clayton

Interesting that so many people from so many different areas are having trouble with them for the first time.