Armyworms

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Plainsman04, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AK Dux

AK Dux Elite Refuge Member

One question...would watering after spraying Sevin lessen damage to what's left?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Headed down to check on our place this weekend and start putting some skinny water on for the teal. Anyone in NW/Northern Missouri ever had any experience with these menace worms?

Almost scares me to go look with all these dang reports of millet destroyed!

3. AK Dux

I was able to spray Sevin today. It's pretty chewed up, but hope at least a good part of it will come back. I was amazed how many were wriggling on the ground after spraying...thousands.
    I've never dealt with these before, and appreciate the advice you guys have given.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

At least you have something left to recover! :tu

5. Plainsman04

Plainsman04 Senior Refuge Member

I hate those things! We just had to spray some browntop for the second time in a month on a stream restoration project. I think I caught them before they were able to wipe out too much.

My milo in my duck ponds has somewhat rebounded in places. I'm still down to about 2 acres of what was once about 12 but it's better than 0. I try to check it 1-2 times per week since it's only about 10 minutes from my office. My sea of sesbania is whooping on me now but where I've been able to kill it or at least knock it back I've gotten some good sprouts of jap millet, panicum, and barnyard grass. May try to throw out a little browntop this week and see if I can get some of it to sprout in some gaps. I love the habitat work but it's been whooping me this year. Not sure I'm going to invest a lot more time or money in it this late in the year. Dove and teal opens Saturday anyway so I'll be distracted by that! :tu

This is the first year I've had armyworm problems on this place and I've been hunting it about 5-6 years. There's a dove field about 1/4 mile away that got worms in it about 3 years ago and I had jap millet at the time and they never showed up. There's soybeans in that field this year and they found me. Talked to a guy this weekend that lost his yard to them and heard from several farmers that have lost whole hayfields over night and others that are spraying as fast as they can. :mad:

6. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

I am hearing of additional people in this area getting hit by them.

7. AK Dux

Well, sprayed it twice last week...the second time because I saw a few after the first spray. Then I hit it with 12-12-12 this weekend. I checked on it tonight, and it's recovering much better than I expected. Compare below to my pic in #33

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my tin can on a string

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014