Ask a California game warden

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    I thought we could start a thread to ask any Fuge California game wardens questions. :)
    Sticky, maybe?

Here's mine:

I am reading over the turkey regs. For fall: 1 either sex daily; 2 per season. So far, so good. ;)

For spring, though: 1 bearded daily (again, so far so good: bearded male or female). Again, so far, so good. Here is the confusing part: per season, 3 combined.

I can read this 2 ways:
    1. You are allowed 3 total birds over the fall and spring seasons total or
    2. 3 per the spring season (ie, a total of 5 per year) of combined males and bearded females

Any clarification greatly appreciated. :)

2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Per season is just that. Spring season = 3 bearded.

3. Luigi Daniele

Thank you :)

4. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Senior Refuge Member

Spring is a season and fall is a season. Doesn’t matter it’s the same year.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

The "combined" part from the Spring Season regs is in reference to the General, Archery Only, and Additional Junior "sub-seasons" which combine to form the Spring Season. So any birds taken during any of the 3 "sub-seasons" are combined for your "Spring Season" total.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  6. Luigi Daniele

Then I am correct in interpreting it to mean 3 per season combined, as a combination of (bearded) sexes? :)

7. Arrieta

Arrieta Senior Refuge Member

My question: I reload federally approved tungsten shot (i.e. Ecotungsten) in Remington STS hulls or Winchester AAs for waterfowl. What happens when I'm checked in the field (specifically a refuge) for steel shot? My understanding is that tungsten will not register in the magnetic boxes they used to check for steel.

8. J.Bennett

No. It has nothing to do with the sex of the turkey. You are only allowed to shoot bearded (regardless of sex) birds during the spring season and you are only allowed to shoot 3 birds (bearded, regardless of sex during the spring season). The combined portion of the regs means that you can only shoot 3 bearded birds during the entire Spring season which is composed of the Spring General season, the Spring Archery Only season, and the Spring Junior season, combined.

So whatever you shoot during either of the 3 Spring sub-seasons is combined towards your overall 3 bearded birds per Spring season limit.

In other words, you can not shoot 3 birds during the Spring Junior season, 3 during the Spring General season, and 3 during the Spring Archery only season since that is a total of 9 combined birds during the entire Spring season. You can shoot 1 during each sub-season or 3 during one of the sub-seasons or 2 during one of the sub-seasons and 1 during another, but your combined total from the three separate spring sub-seasons can not exceed 3.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  9. Luigi Daniele

Ahhhh. OK. Thank you very much, sir!

10. J.Bennett

According to the manufacturer of the device that you are referring to, it does detect tungsten...
    https://www.streamsystems.com/stream_website/hotshot/more_info/hotshot.htm
    Although it is not 100% accurate, 100% of the time, so you may have to cut one open to prove it if the warden interprets the reading as "contains lead"...