Ask a California game warden

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Mallardchasin'fool

Mallardchasin'fool Elite Refuge Member

My rice blind is out of the speck closure. I shoot some specks. Now I want to go hunt at a friend's blind in the closure for ducks. Is it legal to leave the geese in my truck while hunting in the closure. Of course I am talking about after the closing date for specks in the closure. How do I prove they were shot out of the closure instead of where I am currently hunting?

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

On a recent hunt me and a buddy hung all of our birds from one strap. Upon getting ready to leave the field my buddy suggests that we split the limits and 2 different straps when leaving our hunting location and heading towards the trucks. I figured since we would be fine while walking together until we reached our vehicles and then splitting the limits before hitting the road. Can somebody tell me what the law is when traveling to and from the field?

3. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Senior Refuge Member

If you are at a refuge and a game warden checks you and lets say there are 2 sprig on 1 strap, You will get in trouble. Now if you get written up or not depends on the warden.

API and Luigi Daniele like this.
  4. Shawn O.

Shawn O. New Member

5. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I don’t know the exact answer to proof. But I’ve hunted a federal NVR after shooting out of closure specks in the morning and made a point of telling the check station staff I was in possession of out of closure specks and exactly how many I was in possession of. The burden of proof IMO not on you it’s on the warden. My statement would be to tell him where I shot them and nothing more

6. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I have always had a chuckle at the seasonal bird limit on turkeys. Exactly how does anyone know how many you've killed? Honestly, I guy could kill one every day of the season and without going through every scrap of meat in the freezer and sorting it all out, there is zero way to tell how many he shot over the course of the year.

7. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Same could be argued for deer, though.
    They need to have a tag system, if they’re serious

8. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

The problem with tags is you develop another cash cow! You already pay for a upland bird stamp (Turkeys included).if tags are implemented you can count on paying for tags also!

Example... Sturgeon tags,Pig tags,two rod stamp!

9. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Yep and yep. Point is, there is zero way to tell how many turkeys anybody kills in any given year.

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I’m all for turkey tags. Would thin out the opening mornin public land riff raff that feels like they have to go walk within 50 yards of a roost 15 minutes before fly down just because their upland stamp lets them hunt turkey :doh

mudhen, Dan Mallia and J.Bennett like this.