Ask a California game warden

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Tags just add more cost on a population that is thriving. Next it will be regs for waterfowl how do they know you stopped at seven ducks and didn’t go out again. I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole. Pig tags are insane, they are a nuisance not a cash cow.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

I'm not advocating for tags, just saying there is no way in hell to police a seasonal limit on turkeys.

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    True that.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Pheasant Tags They stopped before I started hunting but I remember dad having pheasant tags. And pretty sure 2 and 2 were identified for opening weekend to keep you from shooting more than 2 each day of opening weekend but could use after opener and think it was 10 total but not sure on the total tags.

5. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

A bit OT but... Why is pheasant shoot time 8:00?

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

So the DHWWs can shoot your swing for 70 minutes on pheasant opener

letmwurk and API like this.
  7. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

You should keep them separate. You never know when one guy has to stop and pinch a deuce and now you have two limits of birds in your possession. Most wardens would be cool if you pointed to your buddy squatting in the bushes but there's always the "Rule Meister" out to write as many tickets as possible. If you explained the situation to the judge you'd probably get off but now you have to show up in court.

You should even keep your birds separate in the blind just to keep any "visitors" from bunching up. You want Mr. Greenjeans to quickly see and identify your birds, your shells, your gun and your license so he can finish up as soon as possible.

You should also unload and open your action when they identify themselves and let them know that's what you're doing. Make them feel as comfortable as possible. Most wardens I've encountered in the field have been cool about letting me continue to hunt while checking the rest of the group but you should ask before loading back up.

8. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

Pheasants don't feed much if at all at night. They start about sunrise and continue off and on all day unless they are driven off food source. So the 8:00 opener gives them some time to get a bite to eat.
    Yes there were 10 pheasant tags issued. They had to be date punched and attached to a leg. I hunted a number of years with tags but don't remember an opening day tag. And that is when the pheasant population was incredible. We hunted near the airport then and the ten tags weren't nearly enough.

9. ZaneO

ZaneO Senior Refuge Member

I was always told that the 8:00 pheasant start time was to allow enough light to differentiate between hens and roosters easier

Coach_quack and duckrig like this.
  10. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Maybe why they were abundant?