Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Assateague Duck Hunting

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Mr34808, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Mr34808

Mr34808 New Member

Anyone ever been? Have to be in Ocean City the last week of season. Figure I'd try it out. Not sure if there are birds around, what decoys to take. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Ive never hunted there, but have hunted the Sinepuxent often. Lots of black ducks, buffleheads and mergansers...some geese. Would hear brant all night long from my moms house in Snug harbor, but never seen them while hunting. Definitely a neat place to hunt.

3. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

A really cool guy and X-Gyrene (well, they are never X) that hangs out on this site took me there once about 17 years ago. New years day Y2K..... The bag was not big but we had a great time. Loved driving on the beach.

4. coomes

coomes New Member

Been there many times, actually headed down tmrw to hunt behind assateaque for brant. The island itself you need to have a orv permit to drive on the beach to where most of the blind sites are, the permit is around 100$ and there is required equipment you must have with you. Blind sites are by lottery at 5am. As far as birds it is mostly blacks, buffies, and mergs although i have shot most everything. Lots of brant but you need to be on an island to really have a chance at them. Decoys should be mostly blacks, pintail, widgeon and maybe buffies if you intend to shoot them. have everything in order since you will most likely be checked by the rangers. Good luck

Patrick

5. lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter Chesapeake Forum Moderator Moderator

Was a fun hunt ashame the bag wasn't bigger but still a really cool place to hunt if you have never been there. What was the name of the gun you had "Black Bertha"? Been many years since I have been down on the Island hunting. There wasn't to many varieties back in the 80's-90's that you couldn't kill on the Island. Place was great when the Fed's maintained blinds down there. Great memories down on the Island.

6. Marshbum

Black death. One of the original BPS 3.5 on a 10 Gauge Chassie. 30 inch barrel.... Needed a wheel barrel to cart her around. Now partial to I'talion shotguns in my older years.

We shall have to do it again sometime my friend. 17 years is way too long.

7. lonelyduckhunter

lonelyduckhunter Chesapeake Forum Moderator Moderator

Man were getting old time flies. I bought the same gun about 2-3 years later after shooting it for 5-6 years sold it as it is a heavy gun. The older I get the lighter I like my guns lol. When your young the bigger the better is the though process. At one time I even had one of them long barrel Marlin Model 55 with the 36" barrell bolt action not sure what I was thinking at the time lol.

8. rise&grind01

rise&grind01 New Member

I hunt assateague fairly regularly. The prior 20$ fee has been waived only need ur migratory an federal stamp. If u plan on heading down the sand u will need an orv pass plus required equipment. Mostly buffies, Mergansers, an black ducks but we have taken the occasional pintail. Some mallards as well. Decoy wise I usually take mallards An buffleheads. I have the Ghg oversize buffies ani have some older diver dekes I've repainted to blacks. Totalling about a dozen or so dekes.

9. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I blamed my last 12ga shotgun purchase on my daughter. She started shooting my SBE II and I was left shooting my SP10. Didn't mind all that much goose hunting but didn't like it for duck hunting so I blamed her for the need to go out and purchase a new gun this year. I used to take the 10 out on the water to swat cripples but haven't even done that in a while. there were a couple diver hunts this year I often wondered if I should've of had it to more quickly dispatch some of those birds though. Ended up buying a winchster sx4 and been happy with it thus far. Told my wife if she had any complaints to take it up with my daughter and no me.

10. Marshbum

Ya.... and shooting 3.5 shells back then was a must!!!