assault weapons are a certain, definable class of weapons that *can be* distinguished

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 21, 2003.

1. deadgreenhead

deadgreenhead Senior Refuge Member

Texas, the greatest state in the nation before all
    Thanks for dragging this out of the rut, David. I skimmed your post, but can't give a meaningful response just now....don't go thinking I'm some poltroon; I have been breaking in a new firm this week and they currently have their hands full as I many important things to say to them, too. Plus, I'm buying a house, a bike and dove season starts in exactly 131 hours and 58 minutes from this writing. In sum, this conversation is more of a secondary concern than ever before, as I am sure you can understand. I will say you are in some deep doo doo when I get around to it. ;)

PW, I just have to say, you are boring. Take a lesson from David on how to move a debate forward. :eek: BTW, if there was a point to the race-mixing comment, I missed it. I'm a little distracted, though -- maybe it was smarter than I have time to give you credit for.

2. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Not to worry about the doo-doo! I can wade through anything!

3. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

The answer to what is an assault weapon should be clear to all. Any weapon used in an assault on ones person or property. It does not matter what it looks like, what it's made of or how long it is. So then if assault weapons are bad the only logical choice is to ban all guns, every one of them even that old flintlock hanging on the wall in the den.

Now I'm note advocating this at all, but this will be the end game of the gun haters if we let them divide gun owners as dgh would have us do. We ban pistols, dang that guy cut the stock and barrel off of that rifle. I guess we had better ban them too. Hey, he robbed that store with a sawed off single barrel shotgun, all shotguns have to go as well.

4. The Other David

Circa 1998, Willliam J. Clinton, President of the US: "Nobody needs a gun that will shoot through police officers' vests like a hot knife through butter." (this quote may be wrong in trivial details.)

Comment: essentially ALL center-fire rifle rounds will penetrate even the highest level protective vest. What are the implication of the Prez's statement and that fact?

Several states have introduced legislation taxing each round of ammunition. In California the tax is "only" 10 cents per round. In Maryland the proposed tax is 50 cents per round, except for "antipersonnel" rounds (not further defined), which is $5 per round. Both bills receive serious consideration but fail in last years' legislative sessions.

In Illinois legislation is introduced to ban ALL guns with a bore diameter of .5 inch or greater. Legislation is given serious consideration but fails last year. The effect of this bill would be to ban 20 gauge and 12 gauge shotguns.

The Dean of the Harvard School of Public Health states that she "hates guns" and proposes that all handguns and assault weapons be banned and that all other guns be registered and strictly controlled.

Legislation is introduced in several states and in the US Congress that creates strict liability for firearms manufacturers, sellers, and owners. For end-users (that would be you and me) this means that if someone breaks into your house and steals your guns, you are responsible for whatever is done with them.

The president of the Million Mom March, affiliated with the Brady Center, states that banning pump shotguns is "reasonable".

The Mossberg 500 12 gauge pump shotgun is one of the top 10 most traced firearms. All the rest are handguns.

Does anyone else have similar tidbits?

David

5. whistlers

whistlers Senior Refuge Member

Basically his statement implies that, citizens don't need arms.

Isn't it hilarious, he was sworn to defend the Constitution/bill of rights etc... Yet can make such contradictory statements.

It's no secret I don't feel that our representatives in Washington D.C. or our respective state capitols are doing enough to protect our rights. Even them that claim they are pro-2nd ammendment types. They do just enough to keep the NRA's and similar organizations money flowing their way.

If they ever read some of the statements made by it's framers they'd quit trying to reinterpret what it all means!

6. whistlers

whistlers Senior Refuge Member

The NRA and like organizations ought to save their money for a few years and spend it on a national campaign of 'propaganda' to alter the unarmed masses distorted point of view toward firearms. Instead of giving it to the very politicians who seem to actually feel safer knowing honest law abiding citizens in Washington D.C. are unarmed by law. Even the President, who should have let the assault weapons ban expire.

7. Penns-Woods

Penns-Woods Senior Refuge Member

TOD, Here are a few more which are most pertinent to duck hunting guns.

Last September the LA City Council considered an ordinance that would have banned the sale of ALL ammunition over .41 caliber. So much for duck hunting shells (except .410's). LA Ammo Ban

Last year in Wisconsin a bill was introduced to ban ALL pump, lever, and semi-automatic weapons for hunting, target shooting, or self defense. So much for duck hunting guns (except single shots).Wisconsin Ban

In California all handgun models must pass an independent lab test before thay can be sold in the state. One of the test requirements is that the gun must fire 600 rounds without jamming or misfiring. Hope they never extend this to shotguns, or it will be single shots only for Cali. Cali Law

Of course, no one wants to ban ALL guns, especially not our hunting guns. Oops.

8. The Other David

PW,
    Thanks for that post.

I'm sure that ALL the Refuge members will want to sign up for this!
    David

PETITION TO BAN ALL GUNS IN THE UNITED STATES:

We, the people, are tired of having our schools invaded by
    psychotic youngsters. We, the people, are tired of being
    robbed of our political leaders by some psychotic with a gun
    or a rifle. We, the people, are tired of passing through
    metal detectors on our way to our courts and our
    governmental buildings. We, the people, are tired of
    being victimized by gun carrying criminals.

While there are many long term solutions that would
    decrease the number of outlaw gun operators, there will
    always be an unacceptable number of non-compliant gun
    operators in a country with a population of 250 million
    people. We, the people, are faced with only two choices.
    One is to place guards, metal detectors, and other devices
    designed to invade the personal liberties of the citizens at
    every single place where the public gathers. The other
    alternative is to eliminate all guns and firearms from the
    United States of America. Given that we must choose from
    one of these two choices, we, the people, choose to eliminate
    all privately held guns and firearms from the United States
    of America.

We, the people, therefore call upon you, our elected
    representatives, to enact legislation to remove all guns and
    firearms from private ownership. We, the people, call upon
    you, our elected representatives, to enact laws to:

1. Create a one year period for the United States of America
    to purchase at fair market value all guns and firearms,
    including hand guns, rifles, and even antique guns and
    rifles from domestic private ownership.

2. Prohibit and criminalize the domestic sale of guns and
    firearms, whether new or used.

3. Seize and destroy any gun or firearm found after the
    termination of the purchase period without compensation.

4. Prohibit and criminalize the domestic possession of a
    gun or firearm after the termination of the one year
    purchase period.

5. Provide exemptions for governmental law enforcement
    agencies, the armed services, and bona fide museums.

9. The Other David

PW,

That BanGuns site did provide a very useful link:

http://www.guncite.com/

This should be helpful for anyone wanting more background information or working on school papers.

David

10. Poodleshooter

Poodleshooter Refuge Member

Your real worry should not be definition of assault weapons, but redefinition of your own weapons. Prior to 1994, "assault weapon" was simply a generic term for a weapon used to assault. "Assault rifle" on the other hand had a specific definition, namely "a rifle capable of both semiautomatic and automatic fire, which fires a cartridge of intermediate power and caliber". IOW, it bridged the gap between a battle rifle and a submachinegun. Now, along comes the Brady Bill and POOF!-an "assault rifle" is now any semi-automatic rifle with more than 2 evil features, or any semi-auto which is closely identified with it's selective fire model. Shotguns are similarly redefined based on semi-automatic fire and certain features. Both are considered "assault weapons".
    It's a big leap to classify a Remington 1100 with a pistol grip folding stock and an extended magazine as an assault weapon and make it's configuration as such illegal. It's a much smaller leap for a legislator to show the same weapon in an "assault weapon" configuration and use that look to ban 1100's completely.
    The slippery slope will get you in the end unless you stop it now.
    If I lose my semi-auto's now, be darn sure that I will simply smile when they confiscate your fine 28ga double.