Assigned Ponds

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

I spent 20 years being a BIG Free Roam advocate but in the last few years ( I guess since I've had kids ) I'm warming to the idea of assigned ponds . I would like nothing more than the current system to stay the way it is but it seems as though people simply can not control themselves .

I would like to know the reasoning behind those in favor of assigned / quota ponds . Also the reasoning behind those against assigned / quota ponds .

I can see the positive of both sides just looking for something I may be missing .

2. Drake Slayer

Drake Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Somewhere standing in stinky water cussing my damn
    Do a search there's plenty of opinions already posted.

3. DERODOM

DERODOM Elite Refuge Member

I stumbled upon a nice assigned pond on Sunday that I look forward to visiting again next season :yes Lots of space in this particular cell :cool:

4. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Sweatliner, you know where I stand.

I don't like the idea of being penned up in a area while watching the birds land in a unused pond. I want to be able to adjust as needed and get my birds. I want to be able to pick up and move, go jump shooting or try a sneak on those geese that landed a few checks down. With assigned ponds this will come to an end.

"Socialized duck hunting", the idea that the experience of public waterfowl hunting should be leveled/lowered to where everybody has a "good time" goes against the real tradition of waterfowling. Waterfowling in and out of the refuges is a competative sport.

There is no question that there are a few that are ruining the experience by being a-holes in the marsh. Those are the ones that should be delt with and not by punishing the rest of us.

Learn the refuges, make alliences and be flexible.

JMHO,

George

5. BrianD

BrianD Refuge Member

Sweatliner, you know which place I like to hunt and as a lotto rat, who has worked to know the refuge, with many options open to me, I hate the idea of assigned ponds. Sweating it out on the lotto, getting in as the last guy before shoot time or later at 10:00 or 11:00, I would be hunting ponds bordering the parking lot, or some other unwanted area. With free roam I can get in late and go to one of the spots I have scouted and have a good shot without crowding anyone. But with assigned ponds, there will no other option other than picking some crappy pond. I have only had a couple of issues at my favorite refuge, LDC, and that's why I hunt there. Most of the time I stay out of the crowds and therefore avoid the hassles. When someone is in my spot I move on or work it out with the other party. Assigned ponds may alleviate the problems but at the expense of hunting opportunities for those not lucky enough to get a ressi or low lotto number every day.

6. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately management will continue to look at this option because many people are idiots and can't control themselves. I had a guy try and setup in the same tule patch as me on Saturday(I was in the front and he was behind me chucking his dekes:no ) When I went over and talked to him about it, he told me that was the way it was out there.................

I left, rather than commit homicide:nutz There were no ducks anyway but that's the idiots that are going to cause these areas to go assigned.

I can't preach enough about finding new spots, doing your homework, etc. etc. because there are always going to be the lazy ding dongs that ruin it.

I just know now to never go to the popular areas and instead go to a lesser area and hope my superior hunting skills get me a few birds...........:tu

7. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Very well said George. I agree. I do realize the need though for assigned ponds in the most severe combat zones. It isn't a cure all fix for all areas. I can think of many refuges where this idea would actually make things much worse as far as success goes. On more crowded areas, in cells/fields where things are far out of control, quotas make sense. However, that shouldn't be done before Wardens police those areas and try to disband the "few" who tend to let their actions speak louder than the majority who are good sports out there.

We should only implement those ideas in areas it makes sense. No one program is a blanket answer for the entire refuge system. Blinds, free roam, quotas, staked sites, etc.............all have a place in certain areas on certain refuges. Anyone who thinks they have the cure all for all of the system is blowing smoke IMO. I know of many Grassland refuges that absolutely do not need any sort of blinds or assigned areas. They don't get too crowded to begin with, so those systems would be a waste of everyone's time. Likewise.........places like Gray Lodge, Mendota, or Grizzly would be a joke with such areas IMO. It would take until Spring to check everyone in.

A mixture is just fine with me.

Kevin

8. Green is Gold

Green is Gold Elite Refuge Member

In addition to those that George mentioned, how about no jump-shooting, pheasant hunting, or learning an area/pond and how it shoots in different weather conditions and then being able to stick with it. Also, won't be able to explore other areas and find new places to hunt unless you plan to sit on the levy of another assigned pond and **** off the guys in the cell. The likelihood of shooting an assigned pond on a regular basis will go way down. Of course, the guys in favor of AP's will tell you that's what they want because most of them want a "club-style" hunt where they can look at averages on the internet and figure out where to go. They can sit in their car until the last minute without racing others who have put their time in to learn the area and know where the X spots are.

9. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

There are plenty of good spots out there too. Too many folks take the easy way out and want to go to a well known producing area. This tends to add to the problem, and you are right with your assessment that these are the folks who are getting us all punished for their actions.

Is it just laziness or a real lack of skill? Some of the refuges in question have some great sleeper spots that can produce good birds with patience. Some often think the regulars are causing the problems, but IMO down where I mostly hunt it is the other way around. It is the folks unfamiliar with the drop off spots that cause the problem. They only know the x's, but have no idea about the y's and z's out there. How can you correct that problem? I often try to help folks out who come in on me. Last Saturday I had a guy come walking up the path into the pond I was in. I told him we were set up and he said he wanted to hunt there but didn't know where else to go. I told him in detail to walk back up the levee to the north and explained of a pond up there he might do well. I even offered to take him up there as my brother held the pond we were on. He moved on thankfully and had a good shoot up there.

Folks need to lose that reluctance to try something new. Perhaps one of the good things of assigned ponds is guys can "look in" on other areas and actually see the success without having to be in the field. They can also see how folks are dispersed and react accordingly. I have often found when hunting areas I try to go where others are not, providing what is open can produce some birds. Sometimes if things are real crowded, then I might change my expectations or desired species just to stay out of the areas that are already pretty full. I'm not saying this is an answer for all as I still think free roam is the best way to go. However, I also am realistic enough to understand there are places where this may be the next best option to gain crowd control.

Pro's and con's anyway we look at it.

Kevin

10. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

I like assigned ponds. I don't really see alot of reasoning against them other than that it doesn't allow you to be the last guy out of the sweatline and still crowd into an area that is full enough already. Some guys just like the whole competition thing of refuge hunting, they don't mind going into those crowded ponds, it's fun to them. Other guys feel that since they have put in the time to learn where the X is they are entitled to hunt it whether or not it is already holding enough guys.

GIG even complains that a guy may want to relax in his car, having his coffee or getting his stuff together, rather than RACING others who have put in their time..... am I missing something here?? I have an idea that if a guy really puts in his time and knows the area, he doesn't have to race:cool: ....reminds me of the two bulls on the hill, the old one and the young one, ...but I digress

The thing with assigned ponds is it forces you to learn the area and this helps everybody, the newbie that only knows that one area and doesn't know where else to go, and the local that has hunted the spot so often that he has come to believe he owns it. You are not always going to get called to get into an area first thing in the morning, so you are going to need to learn a new area, this , in the long run, will give you alot of plan B's...maybe even a new X.

This doesn't keep you out of "your" area either....you just may have to wait a little. You can either get first on the waiting list and take the first available spot,or you can go learn a new area for awhile and then come back in and "trade-up". Everybody keeps saying that guys need to learn new areas of the Refuge and I agree. Assigned ponds makes this happen,it creates plan B's, without taking anything away from you- you still have your freedom to roam, you can still hunt anywhere on the Refuge, and it will help to assure that when you get to your hunting area there will be room for you .

Everybody keeps saying that there are a few guys that are GOING to ruin it for us all. I have news for you...they already have. The fact that we are having these conversations ( over and over), the trends of most of the refuge management, the continued voiced complaints are clear indicators of the future of our Refuges. The voices that I hear clinging to keep it the way it has always been, are sounding less and less like the stalwart voices of tradition and more and more like the squeaks from the rats of a sinking ship.