Assigned Ponds

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Sweatliner, Jan 31, 2006.

1. DukVorkian

DukVorkian Senior Refuge Member

Here is the way I see it.

If everyone followed this code...there would never be any problems in freeroam. No cost or additonal supervision is needed.

-If you have to outrun someone to get there...that's a bad thing
    -If you show up without everything you plan to hunt with...that's a bad thing
    -If someone is already where you plan to go and you still set-up within 100 yards...that's a bad thing
    -If you get caught-up justifying your actions...that's a bad thing
    -If there is any doubt it's your spot...it's likely not...and...that's a bad thing

I would also bet 95% of hunters who were trained by an older generation would agree these are all the rules you need.

And here is the key...you embrace this and not try and see how far you can streach the rules.

2. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

Kevin,
    There is no reason to apologize for disagreeing with me, I take no offense at difference of opinion. We have disagreed in the past, but there have been many more of your posts that I agree with wholeheartedly. There are ways that we think differently, but on the whole, I appreciate and respect your passion and dedication to the sport. I'd hunt with you any time.

I do think you simplify my position somewhat. Of course, we have the "keyboard heros" that also post on theses forums. I'll agree that alot of things need to be taken with a grain of salt when reading some of the posts. I further agree with Mark, that alot of connotation is lost without a verbal exchange- it is hard to discern humour, wit, sarcasm,anger, and passion. But, that doesn't make the whole thing "drivel", or useless.

I post on here, and while you don't know me, I do. You post on here, I don't know you personally, but through the years of hearing you talk, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. So let's agree, that there are at least two of us, that come here with the best of intentions, with passions for the sport, with integrity for our words and actions. If there are two of us, there are more.

As I stated before, this is not the place to make policy. But, I will stand by my opinion, that it is a great medium for the exchange of ideas, sentiments, theories, and methods, for and about, the pursuit of waterfowl, among other things.

This thread alone has been viewed by thousands and has had hundreds of posts exchanging ideas, and passions- some good, some not so much so, you must seperate the chaffe from the grain. Speaking for myself, I have learned a great deal from people who hunt the Refuges heavily, some who hunt them sporadically, and some great insight from one who helps to run these facilities. Most threads do not last on the front page for as long as this one has, so matter where you stand on the issue, it has definitely struck a nerve, and is worth listening to.

But it is the new medium, whether this is a good thing or a bad thing is up for debate. I'm with you, I much prefer phone calls or face to face meetings, but in lieu of that, I am grateful for the chance to talk to and exchange ideas with people from all over the world who I might not have otherwise been able to meet, or talk to.

So maybe I am a little off base, or maybe you just disagree with what I am saying, but I am not WAY off base. I am sure that the truth is somewhere in the middle. I am curious though how you can call this thread drivel ,and yet, be the one who started a post and stated an opinion, that can be construed to be meant to lead people to an opposing opinion, or at least a different way of looking, at the same issues that have been discussed here. How is this thread any more, or any less, drivel, than the one you started.

No offense taken.
    :)

3. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

DV,

By the way, nice post, sort of sums it all up:tu

4. Tom Phillips*

Tom Phillips* Elite Refuge Member

Some people need lawyers (Some need them all the time). Other people mean what they say. Usually, after a while, you can tell the difference.

5. WESTCOASTER

WESTCOASTER Elite Refuge Member

DV , its what Ive been saying all the time, be sportsmen, be respectful, just do what a good man would do !!! Its not a compition its a day of relaxation, NOT STRESS. Will any of us starve to death if you have a unproductive day ?? Are you afraid of showing up at the check station with low or no birds, IM NOT !!!! I measure my day by the smile on may face at the end of the day, not the amount of birds on the strap. Sure its fun if you have good shooting, but come on, get real. Some folks getting the spot they want is all they care about, we need to be glad we have a SPOT to go to, and work hard on being what were called, Sportsman, not making some elses day hell. If you squese someone out, if you think you won, YOUR THE PROBLEM !! start to think about it, or WE WILL LOSE IT. ***WESTCOASTER***:fp :confused:

6. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Preaching ethics again?

Are you for real?

There is nothing wrong with a race to a spot. You don't like it, then hunt blinds. In the real world some things are worth racing for. As long as folks are still being gentleman, there is nothing wrong with that. If one is ahead of you to the spot, you should honor that and go elsewhere. It is all common sense. For you to even say it is bad thing, clearly illustrates your lack of understanding of the refuge system.

Who shows up without everything they plan to hunt with? If I go out and get a pond with a dozen decoys and my partner can't make it out for another hour and he brings some decoys as well is that a bad thing? Please spare me your ethics. They make no sense. The problem with the system is folks like you trying to infringe your ethics on the rest of us. It is none of your business if one wants to hike out there with 0,1, or 50 decoys. It is none of your business if one sends a decoyless runner to a spot to hold it down. What is your business is to respect his presence on the pond before you and move on to another location. You have NO right to question those folks on what they packed out there.

The only code we need in free roam is respect for one another. Obviously by your post you have none. You feel the need to police folks on ethics.

Kevin

7. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

Respect.

Does one deserve any less respect because he chose to ride a bike to his pond and beat other folks to the spot because they chose to take their time? Does that person not deserve the spot?

Do you ride a quad on your club? Why not take your time and walk to your blind? Maybe because it is easier and quicker to do that on the quad? How is it any different if one is riding a bike? The fact that one is quicker on a bike than others is a bad thing? I'm confused. It is only a race because it is free roam. Doesn't make it a bad thing. Some are quicker and some slower..............that is the way life is.

Stress? Why would one need to do that? Plenty of good spots out there. Just move on to one that isn't taken. Once again, that is about folks behaivor and not the fact it is free roam.

What I have a chuckle at is folks like yourself that hardly hunt the refuge system making judgements about it. You spend a day with me and you would change your whole mindset about all of it. Guarantee that.

Lets not blame the system for the actions of a few. You don't like a race thats fine, but it is what you make of it. Folks are buying bigger, more powerful pro drive and mud buddy motors as well..............why? They need the extra horsepower to go a stress free 5mph. They are buying them to move quicker to their hunting spots.

Kevin

8. DukVorkian

Kevin,

• I'm for real...
    • 95% of the time I hunt at a refuge...
    • I respect your right to have an view on how to save freeroam...
    • However, I don't believe you have the answer...
    • Everyone hunting a refuge does not agree with this running thing...didn't you ever wonder why you managed to get there first as often as you do...

You said, "Who shows up without everything they plan to hunt with?"
    I say, "Someone whose goal is to get their spot running light with someone else bringing the gear. Which if I understand correctly, you have engaged in from time to time."

You said, "If I go out and get a pond with a dozen decoys and my partner can't make it out for another hour and he brings some decoys as well is that a bad thing?
    I say, "On a refuge??? What's he doing taking a dump? Yes is my answer."

You say, "The problem with the system is folks like you trying to infringe your ethics on the rest of us. It is none of your business if one wants to hike out there with 0,1, or 50 decoys. It is none of your business if one sends a decoyless runner to a spot to hold it down."
    I say, "You are wrong...it's people just like this that will cause freeroam to be something we read about in history books. We should all be concerned and it is our business. All it takes is one time when a verbal exchange progresses into a someone being hurt."

I've noticed...you are starting a lot of post designed to support your position and how you are justified running out to get the spot. Maybe you could start a new forum The Calikev Spin Zone

9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

DV: Are these Cal refuges you shoot....or Arizona refuges.

I can't believe folks actually want to police how or how quick you move to a spot. Since it obviously can not be policed (except for dropping off....and drop offs shouldn't happen), folks go down the "how you were raised" route.

Man.....

10. DukVorkian

cal refuges