Atheist Revolution, is it happening now

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Bands rule, Jan 16, 2012.

1. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

They are not. Nothing happens in this universe that can't be described by physical laws. Laws that govern everything and they are not open to manipulation.

Therefore what role is there for god?

2. theswampthing

theswampthing Elite Refuge Member

If duckn is being indignant, it's because he's being attacked for something he believes strongly in. I have known him for quite a while and not once has he ever preached to me about Jesus, and he has never come on here saying that it's the better way. He and I have very different beliefs, but he's never gotten mad at me for telling him what I believe.
    His post was his personal proof and opinion, he never said it was absolute proof for anyone else.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

It is a shame that the ridicule is present. Unfortunately, ridicule was used to make some of the points being made...

I really honestly have no idea what forces hold this universe together. The coincidence of how the forces of nature work together on this planet are certainly tough to conceive without the idea of some sort of divine (or higher) creation. But what created that divine creation???

But assuming there is a God, does he play a role in the everyday lives of people? Is it predetermined from the time you are born, what you will be or when you will die, or do we as individuals play a larger role? What would be the purpose of some people who are born into prosperity while others are born into poverty and pain?

I have certainly known of some bad people that lead some good lives, and some good people that have died early and miserable deaths... So, if I were a believer (which I am to some degree), I would have to assume that God has chosen not to take a direct role in the lives of the people on this planet.

I have asked this questions to ministers as well as priests, and have never been given a satisfactory answer: How is it, that by Jesus being human and dying on the cross for crimes he did not commit, saves all of humanity from all of their sins??? Seems like something that would be nice to believe, but it holds no logic to me, and I had quite an extensive religious upbringing.

And, acknowledging that the Bible is an interpretation by man, what gives the Christian Bible any more credence than the Jewish Torah or the Muslim Koran??? They are all interpretations and opinions of human authors after all...

4. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Ridicule from some. Blatant condescension from others.

If someone wants to make the flat statement:
    "The Bible is the literal truth" they had better to be prepared to offer real empirical proof of that or stand up to the ridicule. I look on that statement the same way I do at native folklore asserting that the earth is balanced on the back of a turtle. Show me the turtle!

Just because society has, until relatively recently, swallowed the sauce made from scripture doesn't make it real. Nor should it be absolved of scrutiny and criticism.

5. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

You've never studied quantum physics. Quantum physics is nothing more than a mathematical model of something that science can not explain. The positive charge of protons repels other protons at 1/r^2 except, magically, when they are in the same nucleus where 1/r^2 is a huge number. This force, science calls 'The Strong Force'.

Most of physics is nothing more than a mathematical models of how things work without a real explaination of why they work that way.

The world is logical so God doesn't exist?:scratch:scratch :l

6. tubshooter

Dont't forget the laws that do actually govern people's lives. If they could be broken or changed or toyed with they wouldn't be laws.

To not believe this is to not believe in gravity or electromagnetism.

No role for god.

7. tubshooter

Is there a point you're trying to make? You think if you throw around some impressive terms you can muddy the water enough to counter my argumment. You didn't succeed.

8. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    See, you have not read my past statements, I was never predisposed to any religious thinking. I may come from one of the most un-religious homes ever!! I did not come to God till my early 20's ?? Forget the age, but I was no young teen. And I sure didn't have it beat in my memory from age one. There are just somethings you can not explain away as chance, or luck. And some things that can not be dreams on deaths bed.

9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

You're the one that brought up the physical laws and the role God plays. My point is that we don't understand those physical laws we simply model them. What role does God play? He establishes and maintains those physical laws.

10. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Ah, so "big bidness and da' man" are what creates divorces, abortion, an expanding welfare state, and so on.

In Europe, their "religiosity" has declined to even greater extent than have we. How is their worshipping at the shrine of a secular government experiment working out?

We should probably take that to another thread....