athiest vs christian at Notra Dame

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by tubshooter, Jun 8, 2014.

1. tubshooter

tubshooter Elite Refuge Member

2. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Where is the rest of the debate?

Who defines 'morality'?

The standard 'if god is so good why do 9 million children under the age of 5 die every year' postulation.

I'll start. I stated the same in a different thread. The answer is greed. We have the ability to prevent starvation and disease. We choose not to do so.

Yes bad things happen to 'good' people. I do have a response for this fact but I'll let you respond to the above first.

3. tubshooter

The point is that through no fault of their own people suffer. Why would a omnipotent being children into the world and then immediately kill them, often under horrible circumstances? Did these children fail quality assurance testing?

Through no fault of their own billions of people are doomed for eternity. A billion Hindus are doomed to hell because of their culture. A billion muslims are doomed for eternity because of their culture as well. And hell is full of Myans, Cherokees, Neanderthals, Eskimoes and anyone else who wasn't lucky enough to meet a Christian missionary.

Your salvation relies only on a geographic and temporal accident, where and when you were born. That is Christian theology. And when someone questions that absurdity the answer is "god works in mysterious ways".

That answer doesn't pass the sniff test.

4. ducknwork

ducknwork Elite Refuge Member

Although many on here would disagree with me, you are incorrect about much of what you just said about all those people being doomed. After all, I've been told plenty of times by other 'christians' that I am going to hell because my 'brand' of Christianity is the wrong one...:rolleyes:

Read up a little bit on 'invincible ignorance'.

5. tubshooter

Well let's hear it then. Why am I wrong? Keep in mind I was raised in the Catholic church and spent plenty of time in catechism.

6. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

This is laughable. You are like that little dog. "Hey spike what are we gonna say next?" You have never read the bible, and you are talking about a "sniff test". All you are doing and can do is say "yea, yea what he just said...hey spike what are we gonna say next?"

Please come up with a thought of your own for a change or at least ground yourself with the foundation of having read the book you despise.

7. tubshooter

Wow that's all you've got? That's the poorest response I've seen from you yet. If you have nothing just say so.

8. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

You know me by now, thats not all I've got. Calling it like I see it. I'm waiting for you to respond to this.

Also are we going to discuss religion or God's treatment of the human race. I'm down for both...I just want to keep on track.

9. tubshooter

Respond to what? The only thing resembling a question from you is your red herring about who defines morality.

The debate link I posted centered around the question about how a purportedly loving god could foster such great evil. That's keeping on track. Your response was
    We have the ability to prevent starvation and disease. We choose not to do so.

So if I get you correctly god purposely creates a condition of suffering and kicks back to see if us mortals will fix it. Hmmm.

A child is brought into this world by this same loving and just god in a west African village. It dies of starvation 10 days later, covered with flies as thousands of them do every month. It's our fault? What was the point of god bringing that child into the world?

10. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

I'm sorry Mr. Trebek, are we on Jeopardy? I was not aware that a response must be in the form of a question to generate a discussion :joker:joker.

However you did respond. I have to take the kids to the field right now. I'll respond to your ridiculous statements when I get back. Sorry for the delay.