atv battery help

Discussion in '4x4 / Truck Forum' started by QuackAttack2, Sep 30, 2014.

1. QuackAttack2

QuackAttack2 Elite Refuge Member

Seems like no matter how much money I spend on an atv battery, they only last two years. The battery I have now was $80, I keep it on a trickle charger while parked in the shed, protected from the elements.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Is there a battery that is heads and shoulders better than others?

2. hunt4gees

hunt4gees Senior Refuge Member

3. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

How long between using it does it sit on the charger? Alot of guys with boat batteries will put a timer on as sometimes the chargers may overcharge the battery, or just put it on the charger every few weeks during winter.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Could be the trickle charger frying the battery as was mentioned.
    Simple trick I learned years ago for boat batteries - use a trickle charger and get a household timer (like you would use to turn a lamp on at night) and plug it into that. Usually an hour at most per day is all you need to keep them charged.
    Just make sure the timer is decent one and that will last or your back to square one.

5. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

Try draining the acid out of your battery.Store your battery on a piece of wood for the winter.When your ready to use your atv replace the battery acid and charge the battery. By charging your battery all winter long your wearing down the thickness of the battery's lead plates.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I don't know where you got that from but draining any lead acid battery is the worst thing you can do.
    When the lead is exposed to air it immediately sulfates and then the battery will be useless after the plates get to much build up. Sulfating is what kills most batteries in the first place.

7. victorlvlb

victorlvlb Elite Refuge Member

10GAGENUT I'm not arguing with you. I worked around at Sandia national labs.They had a lab that was trying all kinds of stuff on batteries. The draining of the batteries and charging of batteries. They got the idea from some large corp that owned large farm equipment.

8. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

I bought an AGM battery last time and it has held up good.