ATV Rake Useful?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Wiscoduckhunt, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Refuge Member

We have several food plots in North WI. This year some of them got away from us due to wetness (couldn't get in to spray or mow) and some of grass and weeds got tall. They have been mowed but now we have a thatch mat and my ATV disk won't touch it. The drag gets clogged quick.

Will one of those atv / landscape rakes pick and consildate that mat??? Or will I be in for a lot of elbow grease with the drag and lawn rake? I don't have a planter either. In normal years we keep weeds in check early, light disk, broadcast seed/fertilizer and drag with great results. I did small 0.05 acre test two weeks ago and getting basically no germination in that mat. No seed to soil contact.

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I don't think it would help much unless you can windrow it and then burn it.

3. Marco Holmes

Marco Holmes New Member

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

pay someone with a tractor to come out and take care of it or rent a tractor with mower or disk. Sometimes have to call for reinforcements.

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yup. Call somebody with a tractor and real disk.

6. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Then make sure you can get cell service and have the number of a big a-- wrecker or a Cat operator ready.

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Been in your boat. We have a 7' landscaping rake that fills too quickly. Burn if you can but a heavy disk will probably be needed as suggested. I burn every spring once its dried but initially had to pay a farmer with an 18' disk to take care of the problem. Been good ever since.