ATV Sprayer Info.

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by GooseNukem, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

If your trying to spray corn post emergence I would probably stick to a boom sprayer. Although if the corn is short enough to use an ATV to spray maybe not. If you are spraying under 9-10" corn I would consider a boomless.

How many acres are you spraying that it's taking 5 hours? Might just make some adjustments to what you are using now. With 25 gallons I would be spraying at least 2 acres per tank. You might already be doing that. Just want to make sure. If it was taking me that long I would get a bigger tank for the tractor and go with a boom sprayer that fits in with your row planting pattern. Meaning if your using a 4 row planter on 30 inch center you would want 20' boom to cover 8 rows at a time.

2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

You can get a double nozzle that a acts like half a cluster boom. It is used sometimes on a short boom to make a kinda boomless sprayer. 3 foot boom with one on each end. Problem with adding it to an existing boom is all the nozzles will be needed to be rated for the same flow. Otherwise you might be half dosage on the ends or could be double.

Typically unless you want the entertainment of figuring all these things out it's easier to just buy a boom system like you want it. But keep in mind most of the sprayers you buy with a boom system already included, will need a bigger pump to run a wider spray pattern. Or you will need to drive half the speed like was previously stated.

3. GooseNukem

GooseNukem Refuge Member

I'm spraying about 15 acres. The five hours is including the long haul back to the barn to refill. Which the more I think about it the more I see the need for a 65+ gallon tank with 20'+ of boom. And I only spray the corn post-emergence one time. Average height is anywhere from 6 to 10 inches. Anything after that I let go which in my area is barnyard grass.

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

One thing I do is get a chemical tote. You can put the tote in the back of a truck and carry about 275 gallons. Where I get my chemical they give them to me. Makes refilling a sprayer a quick job. I can put utv on trailer behind truck, pull it and have water on truck. Might not work where you need to go but generally works well for me. Even with big sprayer I will load 4-6 totes on a trailer and have them at a field. I can then fill 300 gallons pretty quick.