ATV

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Kevin WI, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

in the market for ATV for hunting/ice fishing/snow clearing driveway. (not sport mudding)
    is a single cylinder fairly standard and is it enough power? is 500cc plenty big enough?

2. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I have a Sportsman 800, used it for snow one winter. It did just fine as long as it wasn't really heavy snow. If you go with a 500, you will want to plow mid storm.

As far as ice fishing goes, I doubt it matters what size machine you get.

3. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

I just bought a new 450. I currently own a 93 350. It has 1100 miles on it, and it has done everything I ever needed it to do. I went with the 450(499 cc) for the weight and size to pull snow goose hunting in my trailer. So I think the 450 or 570 is plenty for what you will ever use it for. But heck, they make 1000's now!!!!!!

I know I wanted something I could handle and my dad could as well.

Kevin WI likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have a 450 Yamaha, on a mid-size frame. Pushes snow all winter, use all fall in the field, and cruise around in the summer with no problems. Put a second seat on it and use it with a trailer and it stores well in a 7x14.

Kevin WI likes this.
  5. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

F6605452-BFE0-45E7-A203-77F18BA14DF6.jpeg

6. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

7. Ruff

Ruff Elite Refuge Member

I have 2012 500 HO and it does everything I need it to. I honestly believe anything over the 500 is a waist. They don’t have the weight to = the power and just spin the tires faster when pushing and pulling.

Kevin WI likes this.
  8. chessieandducks

chessieandducks Elite Refuge Member

Kevin, I know this doesn't pertain to your question, but I bought one last fall with power steering. Oh man is it sweet. That might rank up there with one of my few really good decisions!!

Kevin WI likes this.
  9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I show the Yamaha in the field, set up for one or two people, and carrying in this case, a dozen canada full bodies, 48 5/8 mallard shells, 3 spinners, and layouts. Setup on the atv is about 4:00 into the video, and it shows how it fits in the decoy trailer.

If I buy another quad, it will be the same one. The 700 Yamaha is too big for what I need. Even with the 4' blade, I can push snow a foot above it. I've had the ATV for 9 years, and put maybe $200 into it, other than oil filters and changes.

10. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I don't own a Wheeler but when I did, I remember when 500cc rigs were the biggest baddest things you could get. I Grew up dragging heavy portables with two people on the rig and it was a big red 3 Wheeler !:l Now days a 200cc rig is looked at as something that barely has enough power to move itself. bigger must be better?:yes