ATV

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by Kevin WI, Dec 8, 2017.

1. phan6622

phan6622 Elite Refuge Member

I have a 2002 Suzuki Kingquad 300.. with a hand shifter welded on. it's a beast.. i have yet to encounter anything i couldn't pull around.. I have a plow on it.. works great.. never had a problem moving the deepest snow we have had. I use it to pull my steel boat lift out of the water. It has a low gear and a super low gear.. i used super low to pull a non-running snowmobile up a giant hill on dirt / grass. thing is perfect for me.. it's light.. i have gotten it stuck in the marsh when the wheels sink.. i can lift it myself and ghost run it to get it out.. every time so far. it's just a 300 but it's plenty fast for me.. on the open ice it can get up to 50 ish.. i use it to launch my 15' boat.. love it. had it like 5 years.. got it for under 2k.

2. phan6622

phan6622 Elite Refuge Member

disagree.. respectfully.. lol.. i wait for the snow to stop and fire up the 300.. never had a problem once moving any amount of snow. if it's over the blade - you just run the line twice and you get a little compaction.. but I am not doing the driveway twice.. that is goofy.

3. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

It appears I'm in the minority on the subject, but I will say that the year I used my 4 wheeler to plow was the winter of 2013-2014 which was one of the worst winters in MN in the past 100 years. That might've had something to do with it. Also, my driveway is several hundred yards long, gotta factor that in.

It's all good, I have a tractor now. :tu

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Everything is a compromise. No doubt a tractor moves more snow, with less effort. And, something tells me you didn't buy the tractor JUST for the snow. (Well, maybe you did, I don't really know)
    I do my property, a neighbors, and the local resturant. The last is the worst, moving snow out of a gravel parking lot, plus the trails between cabins, that takes some time. He was paying $150 per plow to a guy with a truck. I do it for $75 in gift certificates. I am on the West side of the Continental Divide, so we get some decent storms.

But, yea, if I had a tractor, I would use that.

5. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

The snow removal accounts for about 10% of the hours on the tractor.
    Other than our property, it's the best thing we've bought.

6. duckyoda

duckyoda Elite Refuge Member

My ATV had a plow, when I bought it used, and I sold it on Craigslist as soon as I got it. I have a 500' asphalt driveway, a circle drive, and a parking/garage access pad big enough to land two Blackhawks on. If I used an ATV plow I would only use it for the first couple snow falls before I would have a shrinking driveway. I have a Kubota 40hp 4x4 tractor, with a 6' bucket, and it weighs in at 2 tons. That moves snow. When I have to put chains on(ice storms), that marks up the asphalt, but nothing a visit from the asphalt seal/repair contractor doesn't fix.

Back on the original topic, nice ATV, Kevin. I have been considering an upgrade, and I want to thank every one for the discussion. It was informative, and I will make use of it, when I get serious about that purchase. My purchase won't be plowing snow, but I need something light and maneuverable, to get around road less sections on our property, where the glaciers died(reads rock strewn forest floor). I am bottoming out the suspension on my Polaris 250 Trail Boss(4x4), so I am looking for something similar, with a bit more power, and a suspension that can handle climbing through rock fields. Honda and Yamaha are at the top of my list.

Duck Yoda of the Big lake Billy Blasters Assoc.

Kevin WI likes this.
  7. Kevin WI

Kevin WI Moderator Moderator

I was sold on the strait rear axle over the IRS (independent rear suspension)...more torque and ability to haul more weight based on what I've read...IRS gives a better ride for riding, but for a working machine, seems the strait axle is the way to go.
    I was not going to get the EPS due to the cost, but I got such a deal on it I couldn't pass it up....not sure it's a need unless you are always backing up with it in tight spaces like you do when plowing.

Snowed big today and wish I had it ...but still waiting for them to get it ready to go pick it up.

8. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

92049E8F-7F1E-4810-B4D4-22168A785281.jpeg I bought a leftover new, 2016 Honda Rubicon this past summer. Won’t be using it for snow removal as we have a relatively short driveway and my track drive snowblower takes care of that. I have been impressed with the Rubicon. Plenty of power, a pleasure on the trails and reliable (other than an electrical relay issue that left me stranded 13 miles from camp in the mountains in Colorado elk hunting this September and was handled under warranty). With the sketchy ice conditions we have had the last few years, I wanted a wheeler for sturgeon spearing so I could leave the truck on terra firma. Love the IRS. Didn’t want power steering, but as it was a leftover, it had it.

Kevin WI likes this.
  9. Kevin WI

IMG_20171214_162159492[1].jpg IMG_20171214_162141716[1].jpg

The new ride

10. Kevin WI

Took the plow shoes off the plow this morning....I like the way that plows much better....if I had a gravel driveway I'd leave them on I think.
    Anyone else run their plow shoe-less?

First time in a long time I'm wishing for MORE snow...lol fun to play with. Neighbors liking it too...:)

Had to buy a new trailer...spending never ends...my trailer was too small for it.