Audio Books

Discussion in 'Book Forum' started by sdkidaho, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I REALLY enjoy audio books. When I'm in the truck alone I listen to a book and more often then not, that is how I get my "reading" in.

An awesome resource for FREE audio books is LibriVox. Free and totally legal. You aren't downloading anything that costs someone else money by pirating it. These books are no longer in copyright so are free to the public domain.

Understand that these are volunteers that record these books that are no longer in copyright, so you aren't always going to get a production quality story read to you, but it's tough to beat for FREE.

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Some suggestions from the FREE site:

Anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Burroughs wrote the original Tarzan series. They were great books I thought. If you can find the ones there narrated by Ralph Snelson, I think he does an awesome job. Burroughs also wrote the Mars series, of which you might be familiar with a recent movie: John Carter of Mars. That is the first book, A Princess of Mars by Burroughs. The series itself was great - I really enjoyed it and was surprised at Burroughs imagination, considering the era in which he lived.

Try to find the books that were recorded by just one narrator. Some books took multiple readers to complete and sometimes you get a narrator that isn't that great, but again, it's free so it's hard to complain too much.

When you find a series of books like that, take a minute to find out the order the books go in, get them downloaded and enjoy listening to them!

3. Curly Tail

Curly Tail Refuge Member

The Harry Potter books are great in audio format.

4. bkraut

bkraut Senior Refuge Member

Love audiobooks when I have a commute. I always pick them up at the library. I find that most libraries have a good selection these days.

5. Layout101

Layout101 Elite Refuge Member

I've read the Old Duck Hunter series a bunch of times over the years so I bought it on audio, way better than listening to the radio on a long drive.

6. old_sxs

old_sxs Moderator Tennessee Forum Moderator

An oldie but goodie ----

Being There - Gene Hill / on audio

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Wow. Great info. All I listen to are audio books. I am deep into a multi book series now, but it will be running out in a few months.

I happen to be a member of Audible.com. I get two credits per month, for about $10 (don't quote me on that price) My current series gives me a book per credit, so two books per month. Some newer ones, like the George Martin Fire and Ice series are two credits per book. You get about 60 minutes per CD, and this series is running about 30 cd's per book. Lots of listening there.

I download to my computer, then burn the CD's. In time, I may get a device to run directly from, and through the car radio. Don't have a plug in my 99 Ford.

8. sdkidaho

You need an mp3 FM transmitter. It plays your MP3 player across your cars stereo. You just tune it to the prescribed channel and you're good to go. Not too bad cost wise - less than $20 I think.

9. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yea, I got one. Had it for years. Hooked my Sirius to it, when I had it. Still sitting in there.

Just something that makes me all warm inside to have a stack of CD's.

I'm weird.

10. sdkidaho

Nah, not weird. I liked having the CD's too - I just got to the point that the mp3's became much easier.

Another recommend off of Librivox:
    H. Rider Haggard - some of you may be familiar with King Solomons Mines? He's the author. Again, check out the order for his series of books and you can download these and listen to them.