Auto 5 dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Mar 5, 2018.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been on the hunt for a Magnum Auto 5 I can hunt with. I have a mint Jap auto 5 that is simply too nice to hunt. Well, I’ve been searching for something cheap for a while now and I’m not having much luck.

So now I am starting to convince myself to just turn my mint jap into a hunting gun by picking up synthetic stocks and cerakoting the whole gun to make it look like a stalker. I’m not one to collect guns so that is why I am wanting to do this. What’s the point of having it if I don’t hunt it? I find good looking jap mag A5’s all the time for $750-$900.

The other option is to just by an old
    Belgian Auto 5 and say screw or and hunt it as is. I found a 1965 A5 mag with a 32” plain full choked barrel. I know the jury is out there about steel or no steel but I’m thinking I’ll just take it somewhere and have them open it up. I’m a little unsure about a 32” barrel though. That just seems too damn long plus it’s not ribbed. They want $625 for that gun.

For less than $625 I can put stock Browning sybetix stocks on my Jap and have it cerakoted. Thoughts??

2. Drakehammer

Drakehammer Senior Refuge Member

Since it has no rib, it would be easy and cheap to shorten it to any length you want...by the same person that you're going to get to open it up or preferably thread it for chokes.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Tuleman likes this.
  3. buck_master_2001

What does that generally run? To shorten and choke a barrel like that.

4. Drakehammer

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  5. Drakehammer

I think cerakoting would pretty much turn your nice Jap A5 into exactly what your trying to avoid. Once its cerakoted I can’t imagine its ever going back to original mint condition. At least Thats been my experience.

I’m facing the same dilema. I picked up a really nice ribbed fixed full ckoke Belgium Mag 12...bluing is near perfect but stock was shortened.

6. buck_master_2001

The idea would be to make it look like a stalker. I see spotless japs like mine all
    Over the place. Pretty common actually. So I figure if I want a shelf queen I can always find another one down the rd. I’m
    Playing hell trying to find a beat up Mag though. Even the rougher looking ones are going for way higher than I’m willing to pay. So that’s why I’m thinking for $600 I can customize my current jap.

Thanks for the link.

Drakehammer likes this.
  7. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Try Cabelas' Gun Library. I had an excellent experience two weeks ago buying a Belgium made Waterfowlers Magnum. 32' fixed full choke, vent ribbed barrel, 3" Magnum. Their computer showed several for sale at , I thought, very reasonable prices. You have to pay $25 to have the gun shipped in, but you are under no obligation to take if it doesn't meet your approval.

dog walker and Luigi Daniele like this.
  8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Why don't you just trade your Jap A 5 for a Stalker, You take what you get for your gun and add a few hundred dollars and your in business. Seems like the easiest way to go, I can fix you up with a Stalker as soon as you want one and get you a fair trade amount.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. buck_master_2001

I was about to say I’ve never been able to find a stalker for sale. However, it looks like you know where there is one for sale?

10. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

PM me and I'll give you the phone number. I need your name so when you call they will know who you are.