Auto 5 dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by buck_master_2001, Mar 5, 2018.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Bout what I figured.... I've thought about selling it along with a few others, I know it would go quick, but I've never been much on selling guns.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I’m glad I went ahead and bought new synthetic stocks for it. I went down and checked it last night and noticed these two cracks in the stock. Not sure how or when they got there. I’m not even sure if they are fixable. 51B60738-4FAB-4982-9FAB-E1979F22136B.jpeg 4244A3B2-5702-4C64-B1AB-AC48DB2D0B61.jpeg

3. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    They are really prone to the top crack.

4. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

IMG_3657.JPG To be honest, I wouldn't be scared to shoot steel out of a Belgian barrel as long as its 1's or smaller. I've been shooting steel out of each of mine for 20 years and with the advancements in factory loads, I've seen nothing but improvements over the years, with my patterns. Of course I owe a lot of that to myself to take the time to pattern my loads with several Carlson chokes. 10gagenut and I hunted at my place and he was gracious enough to let me try some of his handloads. He gave me a box of, I think it was, handload 3" 4's, that were not your typical steel. Smashed these 4, very call and decoy shy mallards and a pintail on an extremely windy days at over 45 yards.

buck_master_2001 likes this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

If they were the 3" Federal hulls they were 1 1/8 oz 3's at 1650, if they were the 2 3/4" Remington's they were 1 1/16 oz 3's at 1610 fps. Very nice looking Pintail by the way :yes

6. Sunklands

They were 3" but, I think they were loaded in Remington hypersonic hulls. I think you had them labled "H.S.", or something like that. The 2.75" did great, especially early in the morning or if it was calm but, all of the flight days we had coinsided with high north west winds.

7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Those were the #4 HW shot, 1 3/8 oz @1500 fps, you had told me they were smashing ducks for you, really good long range load.

Sunklands likes this.
  8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

FWIW, I just bought a Japanese Auto 5 sweet Sixteen, and it looks pretty "mint"... couple minor blemishes on the wood is all, and the guy still has a factory new stock/forearm if I wanted pristine.
    I'm taking that bad Johny duck hunting ASAP!

9. Sunklands

Finally ran across a Jap made, Auto 5 mag 12, with an invector 26" barrel. Couldn't pass it up, cause I've been looking for a 26" for two years now and they're thin in the skin.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

If you keep looking, stalkers still pop up every now and then. I’ve got two now, and a Frankenstein’s. Had four at one time, with one being a LT12 that I just never hunted. I hunt my ‘58 SW16 quite a bit. If I was gonna coat one, my first preference (for duck hunting) would probably be Birdsong,s T.