Avian x a frame

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by J Fromm, Feb 2, 2017.

1. J Fromm

J Fromm Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

im thinking about buying an a frame blind. I was wondering if anyone has experienced using them in the middle of corn fields with no other cover.

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Killed many a goose from them like that

3. J Fromm

Do you build an edge with brush ect or just use the brushed blind by itself?

4. Trevor Shannahan

Both ways work. Any time you can break up the square outline more I feel is more effective though

5. mrsteve

mrsteve Senior Refuge Member

I assume you aren't hunting the same field all the time? Otherwise for about $50 in lumber and hardware you can make the same thing and leave it out all season like we do here on the Eastern Shore. Kill boat loads of birds out of a-frames

6. Trevor Shannahan

T-Posts and hog panel is easier, and takes less room to store in the off season if you are looking for permanent or even semi-mobile a-frame options

7. J Fromm

Youre right, I'm not hunting the same field I have to be mobile. Looking for an alternative to layouts. Do you have any problems with late season birds shying off your blinds?

8. mrsteve

We've done that too. Always seem to bend the t-posts though and make them unusable again. Pretty successful with the 2" x 2" lumber-framed blinds with grass or corn. Lay down a pair of 8' furring strips, lay grass across it, then top with another pair of 8' furring strips. Screw them together then screw/zip-tie to the 2" x 2" frame.

9. mrsteve

Always but that doesn't matter what kind of blind it is. They get shy of the pits, layout blinds, a-frames, etc.

I don't own either but the Tanglefree panel blind looks interesting too. http://tanglefree.com/product/flight-series-panel-blind

10. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I picked up one of them panel blinds recently ,hope to use it a bunch next season.
    More and more are starting to run this kind of blind around these parts,and quite a few are having very good luck with them so far,but like a lot of things this late in the season they have become shy of their own shadows.