avian x decoy info??

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by DU4life, May 13, 2016.

1. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

I currently have a dsd hen but was thinking of getting a avian pair next year because I had heard they are easier to pack thank dsd. Until I recently heard that they are air up decoys. That kind of turns me off. I guess my question is are they a pita to inflate and deflate to pack? How much air does it take to inflate them? Are they durable? They sure are pricey for an inflatable decoy.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I leave mine inflated. Took about 15 seconds to blow up. Has a "butt-hole" valve that you pull out to inflate, push in to seal. I like mine. Very durable material and paint. My hen had a stray pellet go through her this year (haven't found it yet). She will deflate a bit over a few days, and I can blow her up with one big gulp of air before a hunt. Air holds for the rest of the day. One tip on the initial blow up, is to run the decoy under hot water, and make it soft before trying to blow it up. It comes in a small box that makes the material all contorted, and the hot water takes all the folds out.

3. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

Ok thanks. So the idea of running and gunning packing these decoys is kinda of superficial??

4. mister gadwall

mister gadwall Senior Refuge Member

They are completely portable, not a superficial "claim" IMO> and thanks to some inexperienced hunters i have taken, my avian jake has taken some serious shot over last few years. .. one side has maybe thirty pellets imbedded in it and sounds like another twenty may be inside it rattling around. it still inflates and 'works'. fwiw

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

They can be. I have, but don't usually. If I'm runnin-n-gunnin, I typically don't use decoys period. But they can be deflated, packed, and reinflated fairly easily. Also, you don't have to fully inflate these things. They still look very good (to a turkey) when about half-full of air. Hell, a turkey will come in to whoop a "funky-chicken".

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Stevena198301 must have bigger lungs than I do....

I leave mine (mostly) inflated for the season, and pull the valve at the end of the season... I know for a fact after walking into some of the areas I walk into, that I would not want to be inflating one of those things... And as far as running & gunning and quickly setting up a decoy, I would not want to blow up an Avian...

I carry a DSD leading hen, and an Avain Jake... Walking a short distance, I find them very packable. The inflated jake Avian is lighter and takes up less space than the DSD... Hens are about equal.

Running & gunning, my decoys stay in the truck... Too much of a hasel and not enough benefit (packable or not).

One piece of advice... If you are going to go up in altitude, do not fully inflate that Avain... Increasing altitude will cause some inflation, and I would guess you could do some damage to the decoy.

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

I carried four avian x decoys a half mile one way this morning.

image.jpeg

Got one too.

image.jpeg

Too far for the .410. So I used the 10.