Avian x or dakota

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by mazenblue, Feb 19, 2018.

1. mazenblue

mazenblue Refuge Member

I'm looking to make a change my spread, i currently run 2 dz hardcore full bodies and 8 dozen silos. I'm looking to phase out the hardcores, I'm not a fan of the paint. It's down to avian x and dakota. I like the idea of being able to buy a dozen avians at once but I've heard you really need to baby them. On the flip side I like the Dakota's being 1 piece. If you have e experience with either please feel free to shed some light on the issue.

2. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Use to run an all Dakota spread for several seasons with no issues but have avians now. Overall both look great but out of 80 avians I bet 8 have broken bases after 2 seasons. By broken I mean the base won’t stay extended and then it will pull back out of the insert hole. With what these cost there shouldn’t be an issue plus I baby these things. Haven’t had any problems with paint or heads.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

I like Avians,but I like the Lessors ,because of the stake. They are Lessors but they are not small,they would be what I consider lifesize.
    If you hunt where you NEED bases go with the Dakota Signature series.
    Although Hardcore newer rugged series are pretty nice.

4. hawkhunts

hawkhunts Senior Refuge Member

I ran some Dakota Signature fully flock towards the end of last season- very happy with them. Compared to my old avery fully flocks i much prefer the base/stake system of the dakotas compared to the motion cones.
    I just bought some Avian X lesser ffd- i much prefer the lessers and the stakes vs. the Avian X honkers. I'm just not believing the integral bases of the honkers are going to hold up in the long run. I do wish the Avian X lessers had ring bases. It will be interesting to see how well they deploy in frozen ground, and if they will blow over in high winds/loose ground.

5. mpkowal

I havnt bought anymore Honkers since the Lessors came out,but the older ones I have ,i have 2 bases that are bad out of 48 decoys.I went ahead and converted them to stakes for about 4.00.

6. Buschwack

Buschwack New Member

Have the Dakota life size and have compared them to the Avian lessors. The Avian lessors have stakes compared to the rings. Wouldn't be an issue in soft dirt, but let it freeze and then there is a problem. Also with the Dakotas you can use them on the ice where the Avians with stakes you can't.

7. mpkowal

I also bought the Avian X X stands,Midway USA has them for 93.00,mostly to have a shorter stake,but also they might speed things up.And the slight chance we do ever get to hunt on ice or snow.
    I know you shouldn' have to buy accessories when paying a lot for decoys,but hey it' only money.

8. Honker Ace

Honker Ace Refuge Member

No experience with Dakota Decoy, but I just picked up three dozen Avian Lessers to compliment the B2 spread in terms of movement and to give me a smaller, easier hauling spread that doesn't require the trailer when hunting solo or when I want to sneak in a quick morning hunt before work and not deal with taking precious time parking and detaching the trailer afterwards. Buddies I hunt with have run them as well and we have never had an issue with the product itself, and just use the full bodies with bases we own when frozen ground occurs. Although, since we added five dozen this offseason on top of what we own already, we have found a drill bit that will accommodate the stakes when needed.

In terms of looks and size, they will be great on their own or run with the other decoys in our spread. Paint seems durable and with the bags the Outfitter packs come with shouldn't have an issue keeping them in good shape. Can't wait for the first huge feed we get on later in the season and get to deploy everything. Should be a beautiful sight.

9. mpkowal

Yeah Buddy just a short 6 months away.

10. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPST Check out Cabelas...