Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Avians or Averys?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by avery76, Sep 20, 2017.

1. avery76

avery76 Refuge Member

Ok guys, I'm looking for some opinions on snow goose fullbodies. What's everyone's opinion on avians and the newer Avery 1 piece? Which one would you buy and why?

Thanks

2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

If the stands don't stay attached to the decoy and you can't easily carry 6-8 at a time you don't want them. Period. I'm not sure what the Avian stake system is, but if GHG still has the stupid cone system I would stay very far away. The last thing you want to do is struggle to set hundreds of decoys on stakes with cones on the inside. The best decoys are the ones that have the ring bases that attach to the decoy via an elastic cord. You can keep the stand on the decoy and easily carry 8 at a time. If you're unsure what I'm talking about check out DOA Canada goose fullbodys. That's the stake system you want for your snow goose fullbodys. When you set out that many decoys over and over again, things like this matter the most. Forget about the motion or "realism" look. If you need more motion mix some socks in.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

upload_2017-9-21_10-31-3.jpeg

4. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

I personally like the Avery's but we set the spread once. We drill hole and and get the straight stake deep so we are not picking up decoys or fixing leaning decoys throughout the Spring. I do think if you are running and gunning you want the easiest stake system and decoy you can deploy (in the dark etc.). Avery may not be the best for that. The attached steel stake system would seem to be a solution but 500 full bodies would be ungodly heavy if you had to haul them into a field with an ATV/Trailer etc. if it were muddy or not easily accessible.

I do love the newer Avery one piece design and I have always preferred the look of the Avery's over the brands but that is just preference I guess. Finally, keep in mind cost. Avery's you can normally find on sale for a reasonable price. I think the Avians are probably nice but I'm confident they don't hunt any better than the Avery's and for the cost difference Avery would be my choice. Drives me crazy when these decoy manufacturers package their decoys in 10's or non-dozen packs. Just price the damn things by the dozen (duck and goose decoys).

My two cents.

5. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

Avery period.

Our Averys stay out every year from mid Nov until mid Feb in California for the fall/winter seasn and the paint is holding up great.

Our Canada FB spread is also Averys. They stay in 12 slot bags. It takes little effort for each of is to carry out two dozen from the trailer

6. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Avery's for sure, especially because they're considerably cheaper. Both are great looking decoys with Avery's looking the best out of any snow decoy on the market. They are also lighter and pretty much the exact size of a real snow goose. The other owner of JJB has 500 Avians, and another buddy in our "hunting group" just bought 30 dozen Avery's. The stake system on Avians is the quickest way to set decoys, period. I would take those stakes over decoys with bases attached. The same can be done with Avery's all you need to do is modify the stakes by cutting off the L part. Even in high winds they won't spin out of control and this allows you to just set the decoy on the stake however you want. Really the only thing Avian has over the Avery's after you modify the stakes is the fact that they are EVA but for how much extra they cost it's hardly justifiable IMO.

Whether you get Avery's or Avians do yourself a favor and put tail loops on them. This will allow you to carry 2 to 3 dozen at a time. Normally when we are hunting over fulls we have 2 guys setting stakes and the rest following putting decoys on them. 6 guys can easily set 500 full bodies in 45 minutes with this method.

7. CSUguy

CSUguy Senior Refuge Member

Avery TNT 5/8 shells. Add tail cords (zip ties) and glue caps on stakes. Carabiner to hold the decoys by the loops. It's the fastest, easiest to set, most room in your trailer, cheapest option for FB realism.

8. hammbone

hammbone Senior Refuge Member

Yep what he said then if you use my stake they are even better movement and set faster. They also self balance so they are not tilted on the stake

9. CamoHunter870

CamoHunter870 Elite Refuge Member

I just have experience with the 1 piece Avery's and I like the fact that they dont have a metal base attached to the decoy. That just add's weight and space in my opinion. Metal on plastic will also rub more I would assume when stacked in a seed bag.

I throw has many Avery's has I can in a seed bag and then have the stakes in a 5 gal bucket. When setting the spread (when its not muddy) I'll throw out the decoys and then put the stakes out once I have 30 or so decoys thrown out. Can carry that many stakes easily. I can also carry about 6-8 Avery's too just with my hands without any tail loops on them.

KID CREOLE likes this.