Avianx oversize mallard floaters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by mpkowal, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Impossible to perform a direct comparison test, since we can't put out two different spreads in the exact same spot at the exact same time and have birds respond without influence from both spreads. You may believe a few magnum decoys are better, just as I believe many standard decoys are better, based on anecdotal evidence. Neither of us can offer scientific proof; it's just what we think.
    Look at it this way: does a flock of flying ducks see a spread of a dozen (for example) oversize decoys and think "must be something good there". Or do the birds see a spread of 24 life-size decoys and think "there must be something really good there". In the duck world, numbers tell the story, not size of the birds.
    Humans see it similarly: when you're scouting, do you determine the best spot for your hunt by the number of birds there, or by the size of the birds there?

Ringbill likes this.
  2. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

tuleman to ans. yes I do, I've seen it to often in the last several yrs. I now believe that all these super lifelike decoys attractions are to sell hunters. but I think if your not on the X I want the big boys. [and the darker the better i.m.o.] this is only my oppinion and it and a dollar will get u a cup of coffee tomorrow. ps I have 2 dz avian and 2dz Dakotas they make my decoy self in my reloading room look supper. my working decoys r out[In season] r walkins r in my sons barn for easy pickup, I'm 75 but if I were younger and still walked in a lot I think I'd buy 2 dozen mallard wind sox's with heads an pvc to clear the h2o a bunch of color and motion and easy to carry o yea BIG

Billy Bob likes this.
  3. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I'm not sure everyone is comparing the same aspects of the decoys. Tuleman, you seem to be comparing finishing of the birds after they've seen the decoys and claiming numbers beats size. My interest is whether the birds see the decoys at all from a distance that calling is unlikely to be heard over the wind.

I don't see much difference in results with large quantity on our reservoirs, but do with visibility as a whole, i.e. whether the birds even see my blocks from across the lake. If they don't, they never come look. If they do and come for a look, my larger blocks typically work fine with about 3 dozen or less.

Late season here on big water we usually see mallards, geese, and goldeneyes. I setup with a dozen oversize goldeneyes (black flocked), 3-6 geese, and 12-24 magnum mallards. Each of these species will often fly the channel or far shoreline of the lake, fairly low, and cannot hear calling over the wind (geese is best chance they hear the call). If they don't see the decoys, they won't come for a look. And the lakes usually have a good chop going in the wind. Where possible fullbody or shell geese on a shallow bank are also used as these are very visible at distance.

When I take a boat drive to chase a bird and look back at the spread, I can always see the goldeneye and geese decoys (size and black/white contrast for the most part), and somewhat see the mallards. I think in these situations the larger contrasting decoys make a big difference in initial visibility and therefore bring the birds over to start working on them. Of which, goldeneyes usually commit and drop right in, mallards and geese take a little work with the call and a good hide.

4. ten times better

I've told this tale many x's on here BUT many yrs ago a gent asked to hunt with my son and I at the biggest walkin in Il. he wanted us to see his new decoys [claimed he was inventor and owner] ? they were featherflex goose decoys with little duck heads[mostly drake I think] but the decoys were all flat black except for the heads and the white tails and win spectrum. like I've said so many times we had a mallard slaughter. but I was too dumb and didn't take care of those decoys [he gave them to my boy] I only have one left. tuleman you may be right but we have 250plus fullbody decoys but we old guys and our sons use10 dz. 48 inch shells, to each his own. the fullbodies are getting a heavy dose of white paint to enter our snow goose spread of 4000 where yes I do believe # really matter. P.S. DOES ANYONE HAVE A COUPLE DZ. FEATHER FLEX GOOSE THEY WOULD Part with [they trump the windsox]

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Ducks do not have a human brain, just saying. :l

Ringbill likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I am comparing all aspects but saying visibility is the most important factor because if a bird can't see the decoys he isn't going to check them out, right? I rarely shoot birds that aren't in the act of landing, meaning backwinging just before they splash down. EVERYONE knows my views on realism. :l :l :l IMO large dark decoys are the way to go, AvianX oversize will be a good choice for most people because they have both size and the unnecessary realism. I have always said their paint is too dark but in this case it will be a good match. If they are as durable as the life size AvianX decoys they should be a home run. :tu

7. ten times better

billy bob ; I think in my case their smarter because they win most of the time. 1 last thing I think u hit it on the head, if u can afford em that's how I'd go. we use when we boat in 2 dx old old flambeau ducks that are bigger than our goose floaters nor or they shaped well but they work. our problem isn't decoy but the mallards haven't arrived till the season is almost over. this yr on our big blind spread 150 geese 6 specks 80 divers and 24 puddle and 6 floating hard wired spinners. last yr the 4 of us each hunted over 120 days. oct-march its a real good thing I can't shoot well and yes I got sick of eating duck [exc. cans and specks] some days I HAD TO HUNT INTHE AM AND GOLF IN THE P.M. ITS A strain but I'm tough

8. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If you are limiting yourself to a certain number of decoys, then by all means get the big 'uns. (e.g. a choice between a dozen oversized or a dozen standard)
    But if your choice is space or money....i.e. a dozen oversized or two dozen standards, or two dozen oversized vs. four dozen standard, then numbers (not individual decoy size)will always do a better job for you. After all, it is the size of the spread that makes it more visible AND attracts birds more readily....and twice as many decoys that are 50% smaller makes a larger spread.

I realize ducks don't think, at least not in the sense that we think logically. But they do react. And they certainly react to large numbers of their brethren. They don't react to LARGE brethren, since they have no conception of "size".

Ringbill likes this.
  9. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Bigger works. I use the TF Super Mag mallards, which are the size of snow goose floaters & I draw birds better than those around me. It's the only time I've actually felt that a decoy made the difference.

10. ten times better

does anyone remember the wildfowler article about the guy with absolutely perfect 6 inch decoys, premise was the geese got so low he only used a pellet gun. I heard several men who believed that also. after 65 yrs of hunting ill take size over quality or quanity exc. for snows they like huge #'s. and we use fullbodies and good shells in our killing zone.