Decoy Forum Sponsors

Avianx oversize mallard floaters

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by mpkowal, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Using you're same argument, you can't know that because you can't hunt the exact conditions in the exact place with 2 different spreads. If you want to argue I can twist words with the best of them. Maybe you haven't hunted large open water areas to see the difference. One of the places I hunt is 21 square miles of open water, 3 miles wide and 7 miles long. When you see flocks turning from a flightline that don't habitually turn from after you start using half the number of magnum decoys you become a believer. On that type of open water realism gets you ignored because it cannot be seen as well. Typically 24 realistic lifesize decoys will pull birds from 500 yards at the most and only if you are close to the flightline, 12 magnum dark colored decoys will at least match that. In my experiences, of course...

Ringbill likes this.
  2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Okay, let's take this to extremes:
    You have a spread of 60 magnum duck decoys. That spread is mass of decoys 60 feet by 120 feet.
    I have a spread of 120 standard sized decoys. My spread is a mass that is 100 feet by 150 feet.
    (The distance between individual decoys is the same in both spreads.)
    Which spread can be more readily seen by ducks half a mile away, the small spread or the big spread?

Or this:
    You are looking at a pond half a mile away. Which will you see more readily, two standard decoys or 50 standard decoys? We know the answer: the 50 decoys. Why is that? Because. There. Are. More. Of. Them.
    Numbers count.
    Decoy size doesn't count unless the numbers are equal. Spread size does count.
    Unless the oversized decoy is the size of a Suburban, in which case it might be as visible as a large spread of conventional decoys. Even then I doubt one decoy...even if it were Suburban-sized... would have much drawing power.

Ducks at a distance don't see individual decoys, they see a mass of decoys. Only ducks that are within shotgun range notice individual decoys.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Ringbill likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

I will say the magnums pull better. I was a numbers guy for many years. I love decoys and I love huge spreads, there is a reason I own over 100dz :z BUT there are many situations when SIZE trumps numbers. Timber and large open water are 2 of those situations. Now that we have thoroughly derailed yet another thread may we agree to disagree....again? :l

Ringbill likes this.
  4. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

Then by this logic a spread of 500 3-inch decoys would be even better? 1000 1-inch decoys?

callinfowl, Ringbill and Billy Bob like this.
  5. Tuleman

Decoys smaller than lifesize would look just as bizzare to ducks as oversized decoys.
    Good numbers of LIFE-sized birds are what they are used to seeing in spots that ducks like to frequent.

Ringbill likes this.
  6. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

If u have a great spot black milk jugs work. tuleman u believe your right so keep buying and putting out a bunch but someday I hope u get a chance to see the big boys work. I think if u give the big geese a try you'll be very surprised. we also use a lot of decoys on our permanent spread but now mostly BIG BLACKandWHITE geese and a huge amount of mag foam filled divers. good luck and good hunting I wish I could be here to see what u say down the road but in 30 days I hit 75 so the road is short.

Ringbill likes this.
  7. Billy Bob

You keep telling us how we don't know what a duck thinks but keep stating things a duck thinks for a fact.... How do you know tiny or oversize decoys look bizarre to a duck? How do you know they even have the capacity to know they are huge or tiny? If ducks could reason like that would they land with supermagnum duck decoys that are the size of goose floaters? And why do goose floaters work so well for ducks? Could it possibly be their SIZE and VISIBILITY? We can only go by anecdotal evidence since we cannot see inside of a ducks mind. Seems a lot of us have seen how ducks react to size over numbers and it works for us.

People give the ducks capacity for thought wayyyyyyyyy too much thought and they give the ducks wayyyyy too much credit. Guys act like they think ducks have a human brain and are college educated. I routinely kill late season ducks over junk decoys from the 80's with nearly no paint and totally unrealistic body shapes just to prove to people all of that realism is for the hunter. At the same time I also use whatever cheap ammo I can find, including steel dove load #6's to kill ducks....just to prove it can be done. A lot of the same guys that preach realism think they need a nuclear tipped tungsten sabot round to kill a duck and also think they need a $150 duck call and $2,000 shotgun. It's all marketing and people fall for it in search of buying success. Facts are, ducks can be killed over junker spreads at any time of the season, in any flyway, $15 duck calls pull just as many ducks, cheap shotguns kill just as many birds and cheap ammo kills just as many birds too.

A duck has a brain the size of a peanut but I often wonder if the ducks are more intelligent than the hunters. :z

marshmob and Ringbill like this.
  8. Tuleman

I know ducks don't have the capacity of logical thought. I use the word "think" in the context of ducks because I know of no better word to convey what a duck "thinks" when it sees a decoy.
    Bottom line: ducks react to decoy numbers rather than size of individual decoys.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Ducks be greedy bastages that want what all them other ducks have.

Vammy and Ringbill like this.
  10. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Magnum decoys definitely have their place on big water or when you are hunting out of a boat. Magnum decoys are better than life size under certain circumstances, but not always. The reason I have thousands of decoys is because I hunt a lot of different places. Big water, small water, fields, lakes, rivers, tidal influenced areas etc. You don't have to put out 100 decoys on a small pond, however late in the season if you are hunting big water like the Columbia river, and are trying to pull birds off a refuge you better have a big spread of Magnum decoys, or you might not be cleaning very many birds. On the other hand if you are hunting the X on small water, 6 decoys will do. Every location is different, as is the weather, every day, etc.