Awesome hunting experience! Kudos to the total non-idiot hunters by us.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Went out over the weekend several times. Had life long friend who never hunted before come along as he wanted to check out where all this money is spent and why.

As we are setting up some guys 4 of them set up straight down wind of us (125- 150 yards) . We usually see them a lot further away but they are hedging over more and more every year after seeing us pound birds get our limit and leave. I explain to my buddy how they cannot call and since they are down wind of us they will hose us on some flocks. We called 2 flocks right over them bowed up coming into our calling, they guys never shoot once at either flock! We banged or birds and got out of there quick, like less than 10 minutes so they could shoot their birds (maybe shoot).

Calling is such a great tool I cannot figure out why so few hunters can call geese in.

As I get older it is so nice to see other hunters not being idiots! It happens :)

2. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Man, I wish all of the guys that hunt near me were that nice. I've had more than three groups act like idiots in the three times I've hunted this season.

I think some of the guys that don't call (like me) do so because a bad caller is worse than no caller. At least, that's what I think.

dux/24 7 likes this.
  3. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Next time I am going to go over there and call in there geese for them. It doesn't happen that often.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  4. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I've always tried to avoid conflicts, and in many cases, just talking to the guys allows you to talk over how the birds work, and if they will pass on birds working your set, etc. etc. A lot of times , an invite to join another group, or hunt with them in the future can come about as well. Twice this year we hunted a field that was "double" booked, once by the owner of the field and once by the farmer who leased it (the lessee is supposed to be allowing the hunters , but I digress). A quick talk with the other group allowed us to spread out on the field ( a full 1/2 section) and we pushed birds to each other a few times, so it worked out great each time.