AWF/ArkDemocratGaz...Let the season reccomendation debate begin

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by snapp, May 16, 2004.

1. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

I thought Trey Reid did a great job in presenting his article in todays DemcratGazette on the recomendation by the Arkansas Wildlife Federation for next years duck season. So what does everyone thing about the reccomentdations?

John Bell, I have not seen a complete list and Trey indicated in his article that he only listed the primary reccomendations. While I would have thought the AWF members would have recieved a complete list, maybe you can put them on this post:tu Then we can all look through them and voice some opinions.

2. ODHA

ODHA Elite Refuge Member

The short answer is for the G&F comm. to go by the federal regulations.
    From my perspective we've only had one less than par season recently and that was this past season.
    The AWF is one of those organizations that we could do without. At least with the anties you know they're againt you, while organizations like the AWF will put the screws to you and smile and expect you to like the feeling. They are just a very eletist (sp) group.
    As I've stated before a 45 day season with 3 long splits would be ideal but if the feds say more I want it. If they say less so be it.
    As far as there recomendations an early youth hunt would be fine. The rest should be whatever the feds say.
    Waterfowling has enough regs now we don't need to tack on more.

3. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

Snapp, tell me what section its in, I can't find it anywhere in the NW Ark edition. I'm still looking, but don't see it.

4. Big Gumbo

Found it online

45 day even if feds call for 60, thats CACA DE TORO!
    now if the feds would allow an additional week rest period within 60 days should we chose to, not just two thats allowed now, thats something else.

End by Jan 15th, more CACA, my best hunting was early first week and late last week last year. I'd give up one week in DEC , and one week in Jan for a monday through sunday week in Feb.

Closing the rest areas, even more CACA! Snapp even you believe that perpetual rest areas are hurting huniting cause ducks are imprinting on these free buffets year after year with no need to move.

Just one hen, no problem

Limiting out of staters on wma's, sounds good but legality is unclear if federal monies are used too, see ND vs Minn. Maybe an additional out of state WMA waterfowl permit fee where all funds are earmarked for better care of existing WMAs and creation of new ones for waterfowl is the answer, that way they can come and pay more for the privilege, if they don't like it tough CACA.

It comes down to the fact that the waterfowl councils in there their wisdom could restructure the way a state can set seasons within a begin date and end date for a follwing region ,but thats a sacred cow. That way if they give us 60 we can voluntarily add a extra split, but to give up 15 days with no reward/benefit is crazy talk.

For some reason I feel like OK is going to become my home away from home when it comes to ducks, Just Imagine what our nieghboring states are going to think when all us Arkies start showing up between the 15th and 30th buying those 3 and 7 day permits

5. Duck Undertaker

Duck Undertaker Elite Refuge Member

While I agreed with the one hen and the limiting of out of state hunter on State WMA's, the rest are foolish and will not be supported by the general population.

Probably the most idotic of all the suggestions is moving the youth season to the week before the regular season.

Exactly how many public area's are flooded in early November in a "NORMAL" year.....????

So exactly where is the average Joe hunter supposed to take his kids hunting this special youth season... :confused:

Think the big commercial clubs that are pumped are going to let you in to take your kids?

Obviously all the board members of the AWF have a private spot to take their kids, most people however do not.

Not to mention that this could most likely also occur during the first or second weekend of gun deer season and LOTS of Dads will not miss that in order to take their kids duck hunting.

Nothing pizzes me off more that people doing/suggesting something that will negatively impact kids.

I'm going to start e-mailing the commisioners right now myself to let them know that the AWF in no shape or form speaks for me.

6. Big Gumbo

Duck Untertaker made good points on the youth hunt, yet many skip it cause at the end of January the weather is lousy (cold and wet or froze) most of the time to take a young'un, so lobby for two youth weekends:tu

7. Smooth Boar

Smooth Boar Elite Refuge Member

I think it has been mentioned here before - why do you need a special youth hunt to take a kid hunting? Its hard enough getting ready for duck season and try to squeeze in a deer hunt or two as it is. Take your kids deer hunting and then take them duck hunting.

I don't want any less days than what the Feds allow.

Banning spinners wouldn't hurt my feelings. If they're legal, I'll use one. If not, just less cr@p to carry.

8. Ducks and Dogs

Ducks and Dogs Elite Refuge Member

AWF issues

1) a. 45 day season regardless of Fed - AGREE :tu
    b. End no later than Jan. 15 - DISAGREE (John, explain reasoning please)

2) 1 Hen limit - AGREE :tu

3) Prohibit spinners - AGREE :tu

4) Reduce pressure/hunters on WMA's - AGREE :tu , though difficult to do as stated by Big Gumbo, I feel this is a must do. Why not require an out of state permit on state WMA's, as well as an out of state stamp required for all OOSer's.

5) Close rest areas - DISAGREE

6) Limit outboards - impartial

7) Youth Hunt - Torn, I see the benefit that comes with the pre season hype and the bad weather issues in late Jan., but I like others have concerns over water for a mid-november. Be nice if we could have one before and after ;)

9. Big Gumbo

Your right, we should take when at all possible, but try takeing a youngin to the boat race on opening weekend or any other weekend during season, the youth hunt gives them a chance to get acquainted without the bs thats normal hunting on public land. The sad fact is some of the things I do in season is too dangerous for a kid and I could never live with myself if something happened, the youth weekend gives everyone a decent chance to get to a spot thats much more convenient, plus its totally about the kids, cause daddy can wrapped up with his own thing when its not, seen it happen.

10. Duck Undertaker

Duck Undertaker Elite Refuge Member

For the record this does not affect me in the least, I am fortunate enough to have a private place to hunt that always has water/ducks and my kids get to hunt more than a lot of adults that I know. But this was not always the case for me and I still have lots of friends who still are not so lucky. Folks like them and their kids are the ones that I am concerned about.

Like Big Gumbo mentioned, lots of Dads who don't get many opportunities for a good hunt can often forget to take the extra time needed with their kids during the regular season , and who can blame them, those of you who regularly take kids know how much extra work it is.

My kids enjoy the youth weekend because it is all about them, and no one else! Even though they hunt a least 10+ days a year previous to the youth hunt they look forward to "their" weekend most of all.

Its just really bothers me when people forget were they came from, and start making recommendations that make it even harder for those people who already have the least opportunity.

All the regulations should be specifically geared towards giving the most opportunity to those who use public lands, either by necessity or by choice.

A majority of these recommendations make it much harder on the folks, and I mean residents, who use our public WMA's and that is exactly the opposite of what should be going on.

ThatÂ’s the problem I have with it....