AWF/ArkDemocratGaz...Let the season reccomendation debate begin

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by snapp, May 16, 2004.

1. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

I made that last post and then got off my computer and thought about all of this. For all of you folks that have read and been following this thread...I have a personal observation I want to share. I think some may agree, but I know some will not. However you take it, I found it to be kind of funny! Here we go:

When you read the post by John Bell, ownid, Kwack Wacker and olduckhunter it seems obvious that they all really belive in the stand they have taken, even though they are of opposing opinions. When a person or persons believe in their cause to the point these folks all do, "Doesn't that mean they are all somewhat alike:dv

2. Max Dram

Max Dram Senior Refuge Member

:confused: :confused:

First Bell calls me greedy, then Cache.....now Micheal Freakin Jordan is on me??????? About GREED ???????

The way I see it the AWFDC are the greedy ones.

These are the facts of the case.

1. Start with the langauge of the report. "Our" ducks?

2. I do not wish to limit other hunters in MY state.

3. I am not blaming, pointing fingers, and making excuses......I know exactly why my duck season was slow last year. It seems the AWFDC has many excuses, many fingers to point, and lays the blame on everyone. The hunter for hunting, the AG&F for being weak and mishandling public land, the Feds for the days, other states for improving habitat, and farmers for beneficial farm (for wildlife) practices.

4. I do not seek to limit the access of someone who might need a boat motor to get to where I could paddle or walk so I can KILL in peace.

5. I do not wish to limit the number of days or when others may hunt so MY hunting will (theoretically) improve.

6. I did not FORM A COMMITTEE so I could find out why I didnt kill enough ducks, so I could make others abide by rules that will hopefully help me kill more ducks.

7. All of this committee, report, Recs, debate, and chest pounding BS by the AWFDC is so YOU can KILL more DUCKS??????????

Somehow, my simple defense of the men and women scientist of many Federal, State, and private agencies, not to mention education, and my insistance on letting those people tell me about waterfowl and the rules for hunting them has made me a greedy, stupid person, who only wants to kill.:confused:

BTW Cache.....arent you and the AWFDC the black helicopter folks in this debate? The conspiracy theorist? I think your camp are telling us about occurances which are either impossible to document or are the opinion of an extreme minority in the scientific community?

Bell done turned MJ loose on us.:eek: :l :l

3. Cache

Cache Senior Refuge Member

Dang it, KW, i ask a serious question and you are back to your same song and dance....well....here we go again.

Take another hit off the meth pipe, Sport, because that stuff is HIGH comedy. News flash for ya...the AWF Report is already known statewide, flyway wide and even nationwide. Your next level is playing catch up with the rest of the world.

And lets be honest here, Skipper, nobody duck hunts because they need to feed their family. Duck meat is the most expensive meat per pound anywhere by the time you throw in your stamps, shells, and your high dollar Kwack Wacker kazoo!!! We all duck hunt because we love it, not because we have to. You lost points on making that argument....I hope you didn't do it with a straight face.

As for your definition of greed, let me propose another one. Greed is having the mentality of "give me what I've got coming to me, screw the resource or the consequences." It's the message you are preaching loud and clear. I just hope most of the duckhunters around here see it for what it is.

4. Kwack Wacker

Kwack Wacker Senior Refuge Member

5. snapp

Once again, for all those reading this thread...looks like my attempt at light hearted humor has failed:rolleyes:

6. Max Dram

Max Dram Senior Refuge Member

snapp,

Maybe that is because what the AWFDC is trying to do is neither light-hearted, nor humorous for some of us. :tu

7. RKS

RKS Elite Refuge Member

Production must be down at Kwak Wacker calls with all the typing going on here........:l

8. ownid

ownid Senior Refuge Member

Snapp:
    Getting back to business. At all 11 AGFC locations, a total of 105 hunters showed up...32 in Little Rock, 13 in Brinkley and ? Jonesboro. Andrew James put on a good presentation. Everyone needs to note the half day hunting. The Stuttgart duck clubs like it because that's when they kill 'em. Nothing better than when the air warms up about 10 or 11 after a little freeze and ducks pile in fields from noon to 3 and later. Love to hunt the White River in midday.

9. Cache

Cache Senior Refuge Member

Trust me KW, my mind never has to leave the elementary level when I read anything you write. :tu

Tell me a little about yourself, KW. Where do you hunt, most of the time? Not trying to get into your honey hole before you, just getting idea if you hunt private/public land. How many days did you hunt last year? How many ducks did you kill? Etc.

Enquiring minds wanna know!!

:cool:

10. snapp

Ownid,

I would prefer to see something like a two or three shut down myself. I do hate to see the afternoons close for the people that are forced to hunt in the afternoons by their jobs and there are several younger people around this area that do that. For the ducks, it will help, but I don't think it will solve the problem that many are after.

Seldom do we hunt afternoons, unless we are iced up in the mornings. Even then we will seldom run past 1 p.m. I do believe afternoon resting has always been a help to us and I do believe in rest periods and areas, thus our decision to try and only hunt four days a week next season...but that's our decision on our ground!!!!!!!!!!

However, the rest periods will not be the answer to help get the ducks further south and spread out. As I have said before, last year we had seven or eight fields that never got good birds on them and at the most, they averaged one hunt or just over one hunt per field for the entire season. Resting only helps the areas that are holding ducks. It will hurt the areas that are not holding birds, since it eliminats the pressure that so often causes the ducks to shift and/or look for other

As far as the guides that want the afternoons closed, I have to wonder what their thinking really is. I've been in the business a long time and even though we normally don't have to shoot the afternoons, it is reassuring to the clients that they could have the afternoon option if the morning was off. Afternoons have saved me several times...when we screwed up on the morning hunt. On lots of occassions I have seen a group finish up between noon and one. Seems like that is just one of those time period that ducks often make another major move.

Last year we developed a mild :mad: poacher problem in the afternoons. Seemed some people figured out we weren't hunting afternoons and at least one day each week. Found out another guide service was running some clients on us:eek: If the afternoons are closed, might eliminate that problem.

Another thing about closing afternoons. Of course it has to do with money, but as I have said before...all sports do. That other problem would be with the guides and otufitters that run afternoon goose hunts. I don't see anyway they could close down the afternoons on ducks and keep open the snow goose hunting. It's my understanding the closure would be for an additional rest period...not reduced bag numbers. If that is correct, then shooting at the geese would have the same affect as shooting ducks.