AWF/ArkDemocratGaz...Let the season reccomendation debate begin

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by snapp, May 16, 2004.

1. Fetch

Fetch Elite Refuge Member

If you need a referee just let me know :dv - I don't Moderate I just know right from wrong :tu

But you may have to start over this thread is too long for me to read :no

But it is nice to see so many familiar names all gathering for some fellowship :yes .............:l

2. Kwack Wacker

Kwack Wacker Senior Refuge Member

I hunt North east Arkansas for the most part, with a larger percentage of the time in the Bald Knob area, both public and private, simply because its within a 20 minute drive from my house, I also hunted 6 days in missouri this year at some of these draw places and also on private land when we didn't get drawn out, there even if you don't draw out they have areas you can still hunt that they don't flood of course:rolleyes: , and you still have to fill out a little card or go to jail, I hunted over 50 days last season duck hunting, and I killed several ducks ;), no it wasn't a banner year but I cant remember a day I went home skunked either, I didn't stay in one place, I moved around quite a bit because the ducks I and most everyone else in Arkansas hunted last year were early migrators, the lightweight ducks who get down here at the first sign of cold weather up north, after they have been hunted a couple weeks they learn where and where not to go, the hardier ducks didnt come down until the season was almost over, and in some cases after the season, when the weather up north got bad enough to move them, I don't hunt just a couple days and claim to know everything there is about this sport because lord knows I don't, but I would say there are few who can match the passion I have for it, from the very first day standing with some friends in flooded timber and watching the skies fill with ducks, watching that lone hen drop out of the sky from a mile high wings folded coming down like a bullet, catching herself just before she hit the water I have been hooked.
    I don't do anything half way I am either full speed or nothing at all, just ask my buds!

3. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

<<<Gentlemen: In my post of 6/8, I mentioned some items of discussion that I believe to be important, and that's what I'm sticking with. I can get more done on the phone in a couple of hours, maybe lunch, than waste time with some of these dudes.>>>

you know onie, i feel sorry for you. you must have had a terrrible childhood or terrible upbringing to feel as you do. to feel that just because you have this power that you must force your will upon everybody to make you feel like a big man. these are things done in russia or china, or north korea. not the great u.s. do i make my point as to what i think you are onie? you are a very small person onie. very small indeed. your deeds show it. and i feel sorry for you. you are evidently a very unhappy person.

olduckhunter

4. ownid

ownid Senior Refuge Member

Snapp: I don't think I said the guides wanted the afternoons closed, or at least didn't mean to. When I said Stuttgart I meant all of the private clubs along Big Ditch, Little Ditch, Bayou Meto, Mill Bayou, etc. I would think the guides would want the option, as it sounds like you do, to hunt if necessary in the PM. As I've stated before, this area might have 50 rest areas and when the prairie starts to thaw mid day, it can be a real site.

You also mentioned other guide services running hunters on you. What do you think about Commercials and Out-fitters registering with the AGFC like the guides do? The Feds on the Cache and White River Refuges qualilfied guides and eliminated some bad dudes. Maybe the AGFC could publish this list and at least they would have a back ground check to eliminate the outlaws and a lot of the "follow the flock" boys. Kind of a Better Business Bureau guide of the good ones. My pregference would be for the non-residents to hunt with good folks, local boys, that worked hard for them and stayed away from some of the state WMAs.

Closing afternoons to eliminate trespassing is not an option in my mind. Closing PMs is a loss of "hunting opposrtunity" (as the AGFC put it), is anti-hunting and reduces our personal property rights to choose on our own lands. Where I hunt the law is plain, easy to enforce and the judges uphold it. Why don't you have some fun and quit hunting ducks awhile and hunt these greedy, "show me the money" SOBS and bust a couple of them. Word gets out pretty quick.

5. Tank

Tank Senior Refuge Member

Olduckhuter, I don't want to but in but I have a question to ask you. You think that there would be a chance of me getting one of
    Kwack Wackers calls and you teach me a little about calling, Nothing fancy just some where to start.
    I have a new gun picked out. I have it on layaway at Wally World. Now all I need is a good call and someone that knows how to call to give me a lesson or 2.
    Sir, I don't know much but I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about.
    PM me about the duck calling.
    Thank You.

6. BlackSwampSpecial

BlackSwampSpecial Moderator<br>Arkansas Forum

On the cache river in Arkansas lookin up at a wood
    Snapp,I commend you for trying to lighten up the atmosphere here....your a stand up kind of guy. :tu

As for the direction that this thread seems to be taking.....This is a warning :mad: Leave the personnal attacks out of this thread or it will be closed!

As far as I know you are all grown men, lets try acting like that.
    Charles Snapp started this thread with clean debate in mind so if you can not debate this subject without an open mind or becoming personnal sit back and watch it.

If my finger goes back on the trigger it will be closed and any other thread like it will be closed.

7. olduckhunter

olduckhunter Elite Refuge Member

<<<Sir, I don't know much but I'm smart enough to keep my mouth shut when I don't know what I'm talking about.
    PM me about the duck calling.
    Thank You.>>>

mr. tank. it's a long way from here to wa. state but i can try to make a tape and maybe talk along with it and try to give you some pointers on calling. i think i'll get a kwack wacker duck call and from what i've read about them they are the thing to carry to the duck blind. when i get my kwack wacker i'll see what i can do and maybe you'll be good enough by the time season rolls around and you make your trip down to hunt with us that you'll be a top rate duck caller.

olduckhunter

8. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Moderator

Thats what its all about..Its a PUBLIC resource. Have fun with the discussion. I'm back to watching as its not my state.;)

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I am with COHO this is about the general public not a few. I am setting back and reading. This is far more than just limiting OOS'ers.

Oldduckhunter if you run out of days to hunt in Ark come on over to KY we'll put you on a duck or 2 after your season is out. Mayes

10. snapp

snapp Elite Refuge Member

Onwid,

It was an accident that we even found out about the guy(s) doing the poaching. After we found out about it, I got a little upset and went and confrionted them. One of those it's hard to maintain control of your temper types of things:) Anyway, they never went back in as far as I know, but they had hunted groups on us three times that I can confirm. We'll be watching a bit closer next year.

Coho, It's not my ability to run afternoon hunts that I'm worried about. I agree with you point. The state closes the WMA's after noon. Private ground is a different matter. Self regulation comes in to play. If I shoot all day and everyday, I'll suffer because our customers will suffer. We have already put in a 2 p.m. shut down policy for all of our rice fields and I can't even remember when we hunted timber past 11 a.m. or noon. Of course with self imposed regs, we can change them if we felt the need one day, but afternoon closure will have an effect on a lot of young people in our area. By young, I'm thinking the 30 and under crowd.