Awfully dry

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by waterswatter, Oct 7, 2012.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I've seen this before but my dog could not smell a wounded hun that was 12inches from my boots in tall dry grass. It got away and that put an end to my hunt. I hate losing game.

2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yep... Dry climates are not the best for upland hunting and hunting dogs...

Not only is the scent-cone of the game reduced, but panting and heat also dry out the dogs nose and membranes reducing their physical ability to scent... And, the birds don't hold as well so the shots become further.:doh

On dry days, I make sure that the dog gets plenty of water, and I rest the dog more to prevent or at least decrease any panting. Also, when traveling with the dog (car or boat) I make sure that the dog is not sticking his head out into the wind, as that will also dry up the nose. Also, I plan on early morning hunts so that it is cooler, and possibly a bit of moisture on the ground... Normally my valley quail hunts start at about 8:00 am, but in dry weather, I start hunting them at sunrise (I'd start at shoot-time, but they are generally not off the roost yet).

Couple years ago, I hunted valley quail in the fog... (You really, really have to trust your hunting partner to hunt valley quail in the fog)... Just followed the dog from covey to covey for a very quick limit of 10 birds each... The dogs had great scent, and the birds held super tight (valley quail are not known for hold very well)... It was a fun shoot for sure. I've also had some good pheasant hunts in the fog as well.