Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

AZ Elk Tag!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Kimmie, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Kimmie

Kimmie Moderator Sponsor Moderator

Just found out I drew an early bugle, rifle elk tag! Unit 7 East Peaks. 2 bonus points! That's the same unit my fiancé killed a nice 6x6 3 years ago... Needless to say I'm working on the list of to do's now...

Thanking the Lord!

:)

2. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

Very nice...congrats!

Kimmie likes this.
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

Wow! That's a good draw with 2 points. Congratulations on the tag and be sure to post up pictures of the bull when the day comes.

Kimmie likes this.
  4. 480/277y

480/277y Senior Refuge Member

I drew a Gila NM tag in the early 90's
    I know you must be excited. Make the most of it!

Kimmie likes this.
  5. dakndug

dakndug Moderator Moderator

Nice draw Kimmie, good luck!

Kimmie likes this.
  6. Kimmie

I'm looking forward to it indeed. It's going to be a tough hunt but I'm prepping as much as I can ahead of time with lots of walking and stair climbing. Nothing prepares you for that altitude. Hopeful to get there about a week early to somewhat acclimate. The unit is straight up in some places. Talking with a few outfitters to do some early scouting as there's no way to do that kind of footwork from VA. Trying to network with some people in regards to packing in a camp/supplies via horseback also to pack out my elk if I get lucky enough to kill a nice one. Fiance' and I are going back and forth over what rifle I'm taking. My go to gun is a Tikka .300WSM (what I killed my moose with in Newfoundland) but due to the immensely steep walking and tough conditions he's wanting me to take my lightweight Forbes .280... Ounces make pounds... Ugh!

7. 480/277y

Take which ever rifle you feel most comfortable killing a bull with. Which ever one you shoot better, or gives you the good feelings....

When I trained for my sheep hunt I had a 300 foot hill that I just did laps to get in shape. Before I left I was doing 15 laps with 75 lbs on my back. It will not help with the elevation difference but it will get your legs/lungs/back set to go.

Your gonna kill a big one, I can feel it....

8. Kimmie

I sure hope so! Thanks for the vote of confidence. I have been walking up the hill that goes to the new house we're building. I've also been walking around the track in the park as well as up the stairs in the grandstands. I will hit the Cumberland Gap Trail on the Blue Ridge Parkway soon. Hard to want to go there alone and not carry. Here's the elk Gary killed in that same unit 3 years ago... A little weak in the fronts but for the quality of the unit I'd be thrilled to get one just like it.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG] ELK4.jpg

9. Kimmie

10. 480/277y

Get caught up in the chase, camp, surroundings, coyotes at night, views, snd forget score.
    Enjoy the trip and the rest falls in place

Kimmie likes this.