[B]Hunting in El Salvador "Old School" Style !! (Long)[/B]

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by George, Jul 4, 2005.

1. George

George Elite Refuge Member

OK, here is a account of my hunting trip while in El Salvador.

This was going to be hunting Salvador "Old School" Style !! :tu Not advocating this but it is what it is. George

My hunting/High School buddy Alberto has a friend that has some ranch land near the coast. We would get doves for sure but maybe a duck or two. I wanted to go hunting since the moment I landed in El Salvador but Alberto has a normal job and had a hard time getting off work. It was not until the next to last day of my vacation that he was able to take me hunting.

We arrived at the ranch about 2 PM. We where told that the doves would fly into the fresh cut sorghum fields. A couple of farm hands guided us to the spot and where to be our "bird boys" for the hunt. It was hot and humid and we had a few showers hit us while we walked to the fields. Because of the weather we did not think that there would be any birds but as we approached we saw hundreds of big Moradas (Red Billed Doves) and White Wing Doves eating in the fields. These Moradas are some big doves, pigeons really. They are about twice the size of the White Wings Doves. Of course the moment we got close they took off in huge clouds.

We only had one shotgun, a old A300 Beretta 20 gauge, so we took turns at the returning doves. Since I was the "guest" and ready to kill something, Alberto let me use the gun first. I passed on many of the "smaller" White Wings to get to the Moradas. After a couple of shots I had my big fat Morada. I passed the gun to Alberto and he did the same. Back and forth we shot. Not red hot barrel burning action but steady and fun none the less. We teased each other over missed shots and talked about the good old days.

We had only shot a handful of birds when the gun jammed and became a single shot. About the same time the owner of the ranch Julio showed up and seeing that our gun was not working he gave me his shotgun. A unplugged, extended magazine, 21 inch barrel, 12 gauge Rem. 1187. This was his self defense gun. He took out the slugs and gave me a bag of 7 1/2 dove loads.

Alberto and Julio took off to talk business and left me alone with a couple of farm hands and the doves. I was not sure how this short barreled shotgun would work on the doves... no problem. As a matter of fact it was much easier than the old 20 gauge. If they where in range they where dying. I'm used too only firing two, three shells at a dove now I could fire six shells if I wanted to. I did fire away at some just for the hell of it... lots of fun.

As the afternoon progressed I heard in the distance a whistling sound. I have been away from hunting in El Salvador but I recognized it as a Black Bellied Whistling duck. I searched and saw him coming right into the field. I got too excited and fired too soon and missed not once but six times ! Talk about duck fever !! I was upset to say the least.

It was late afternoon and the doves had stopped flying. I climbed a hill where the locals told me that the Black Bellied Ducks sometimes fly over with the hope to intercepting one. The sun set as I was up on the hill. I sat there just admiring the golden colors and kicking myself for missing that duck. My buddy Alberto and Julio came up the hill to pick me up. I sat on bed of the truck still upset over not getting a duck on this trip.

We had just snapped a couple of photos of the small pile of doves when we heard them again. The ducks where heading into the fields to eat ! It was probably 30 minutes after the sunset so it was dark. I saw the shadows fly over but was not ready. Julio tossed me the shotgun and told me to run to the field. I ran like a crazy man busting through brush and jumping over barbed wire to get to the spot before the ducks did. I must have been a sight because I could hear my friends and the farm hands laughing.

I got to the field just in time to see a flock of about 8 ducks circle into the field. I fired twice and missed. Again !! It was dark and I was winded. The flock suddenly turned back. I guess they where really hungry. As they passed this time I covered the lead bird with the barrel and fired. A huge flash and report from the short barrel shotgun and then a loud sound as the duck hit the dirt. Julio was yelling to me to continue firing at the ducks. I just stood there all giddy. Just then another flock came in, I fired and dropped another one ! I could have stayed all night doing this but it was hard to see and the guys wanted to leave.

I don't know who was happier, me or the guys. They just knew I wanted to get some ducks this trip. I was not going a way a "duck virgin" after all ! We took some photos of the doves and the ducks and left the farm for the city.

My final count 29 doves (23 Moradas/6 White Wings) and 2 Black Bellied Whistling Ducks. Not bad for a few hours work.

George

2. CenCalDucker

CenCalDucker Elite Refuge Member

That's an awesome story! Apparently there are no game laws/enforcement down there? Not bustin' your chops, just curious. Sounds like fun!

3. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Great story George :tu

4. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

Now THAT"S what I am talking about :tu :tu

5. ChrisF

ChrisF Senior Refuge Member

Great story George, glad you got to get out with your old partner.

6. DUCKFREAK

DUCKFREAK Elite Refuge Member

Sweet deal Geroge ! Bet it was good getting away for our crazy lifestyle here in Ca...... The work and all the B.S that goes along with it ! :tu

7. George

CenCal: Game laws ?, from what I understand they are trying to make some but in a country that has lots of major crime I think the enforcement aspect might fall short. Once you are inside some of these major ranches no one knows what your doing.

Dan, Michael: We are thinking about putting a hunt together. Something like a beachhouse stay/morning duck hunt/afternoon dove hunt/evening ? type of thing. Something that is real affordable. I'll post up if anything happens.

ChrisF, DF: Sure was fun to hook up with my friends. Down there they really know how to live life to the fullest. You cannot believe how much I hated coming back to my job.

George

8. Michael

Michael Elite Refuge Member

I'm in!!! :tu .....but only if Agent Mom does the driving ;)

9. George

Michael: Seriously, we are trying to figure a way to make it happen. It won't be for a year or so. Trying to find the best times to kill the most birds. Also trying to find out if there are any laws. If it comes together... don't forget to bring your board. :tu George

10. Sweatliner

Sweatliner Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like a good trip George . :tu

So you made it back in one piece does that mean I don't get your gun . :confused: :dv :sp

I guess you got a good jump on the bird totals for the year .