Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Back board VS layouts

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Sasktrapper, Mar 4, 2018.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Used to always use blinds. Switch to whites about 3 seasons ago. Will never use blinds now unless the weather would dictate the need but I will usually never hunt in precipitation. Buy/wear proper clothes and the wind/temps can be dealt with. Buy a couple white laundry bags and throw all your daily necessities in them and lay them amongst your decoys.

Nocalhonker likes this.
  2. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

I bring both. I made my own, Adjustable to three settings 12 - 18 " tall at the back. 22" wide, 2" foam, and white cordura. Can send picks if interested. I prefer all whites, a drone shot is very cool and hard to find the hunters if done right.

I use blinds if weather(rain) tells me I need to.

Geese are clueless to whites!!

3. IA Backwater

IA Backwater New Member

I used the Tanglefree snow ghost for the first time this weekend. It worked well. The lower part where you put your feet got pretty muddy but the upper part stayed white. It was very comfortable. The only complaint I have is the cover needs to attach up higher. In the wind we had Sunday, it kept blowing off my face.

4. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

Another vote for whites. My least favorite part of field hunting is brushing blinds. So tedious and time consuming to do it right and often times the blinds stick out even when brushed well due to the moisture difference between cover on your blind and the ground. We even lay in whites when hunting ducks and specks. Just stack your snow decoys around you and put your other decoys where you want the birds to land.

5. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Whites.

6. nharold

nharold Refuge Member

Could a guy put the snow cover on the blind?

7. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I never use a layout blind for any waterfowl hunting. A backboard with whites or a ghillie set up is far more effective.

8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I'd like to see what you made, how you attached the foam and where you got the cordura if you don't mind

9. Kansan

Kansan New Member

We used to use layouts. Started using whites a few seasons ago and haven't looked back.

1. Whites, at least as far as I can tell, rarely scare geese. I think they often notice layout blinds, especially the shadows they produce.
    2. Laying in whites is far quicker than grassing a blind. You can also go wherever you want to, regardless of cover.
    3. The birds are often still cupped up and legs down on your first shot while in whites. In layouts, the doors swinging open usually flares the birds before the shooting does.
    4. The view is so, so much better laying out in whites. That's what we all love is watching these birds tornado down into our faces. Plus, I feel you have better situational awareness while in whites, resulting in more geese killed.

In my mind it's all positives, no negatives, go with the backboard.

10. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Whites all day long.
    Movement isnt even an issue. While on my second hunt in tyvek few seasons ago i left my spread to go up to the truck to grab a bite. As i was sitting in the cab, a pair came down and started working the decoys. I got out of the truck and slowly started walking back to the spread all the while the pair kept circling. I got almost to the edge of the decoys when they swung right in front of me 20 yards out. Dropped em both. That sold me right there.