Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Back board VS layouts

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Sasktrapper, Mar 4, 2018.

1. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

Whites all day long for me. The one question that I do have is why no company has made a cover for our blinds with snow geese printed on it. Even if it was just black wing tip pattern through out the blind cover. Take a snow cover that you have add just and the black wing tips on it and see how well you blend in.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  2. dog walker

dog walker Senior Refuge Member

A few years ago we were going with an outfitter in Missouri and Arkansas for a few trips. We always requested the same guide. One trip we were hunting a bean field in layouts. The guide told me the owner had originally put snow covers on the blinds. He said they killed a few over them but he was flaring too many groups. He pulled the covers off and was finishing flicks afterwards.

But I have always wondered the same about covers and clothes with wing prints

3. jcneng

jcneng Senior Refuge Member

I have always wondered why they don't make a white layout blind so I don't have to mess with a snow cover! I have 3 blinds already, what is one more! Tanglefree does make a white backrest that looks neat.

4. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

Take the total number of various layout blind makes/models, divide by the number of snow goose hunters that use layout blinds that would purchase these covers and you quickly will find there not much market for each manufacturer. Especially when a $2 can of flat black spray paint or a Giant Sharpie Marker makes it happen rather inexpensively.

5. i_willie12

i_willie12 Elite Refuge Member

Just buy some cheap used ones and paint them white

6. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

Its not really about the color of the blind itself, its when the doors open up the geese see the black gates of hell appear before their eyes. Lots of you tube drone footage out there to show you you what i mean. Also, if the paint is not UV reflective you are going to show up like a big blue beacon. Thats why the preferred coveralls are made with Tyvek.

7. theduckguru

You should buy your UV reflective paint from these guys.

http://www.birdstoppers.com/flock-off-uv-paint

“All birds see in ultraviolet color. Flock Off! is effective against all birds. Apply to any potential landing or perching spot for birds.”

All UV paint claims for birds are bogus. You have people selling UV decoy paint saying it’s better and others selling it to scare birds away.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  8. TMFL

TMFL New Member

What is everyone's opinion on a dog blind with a snow cover?

9. theduckguru

Attached Files:

10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

IMG_20180227_142725558.jpg and teach them to hide under the decoys

theduckguru and snipe n like this.