Back from Iowa....Got Hosed!

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by wingmastr23, Nov 12, 2007.

1. TL Decoy

TL Decoy Senior Refuge Member

curious to see what happens
    I know in my state New Jersey you can not sue the state or any employee
    of the state under what is called title 59.

it has been tried on many occasions and there is a lot of case law to document that you can not do this.

there were no injuries to you or your partners. if they broke someones ribs then you could proceed here in nj.

check the laws for this state first. don't waste money on the lawyers only to find out later that Iowa has laws in effect to protect itself from their incompetant employees.

it's just one occasion ,they may say it was just a mistake

now if it happens year after year with the same guys. then maybe you could sue if it is well documented

2. Keith H

Keith H Elite Refuge Member

Bad situation. From now on, I would refrain from posting about in on the internet, lest something you post be brought up in court and taken out of context. Good Luck!

3. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

with all you had invested that CO would have had to prove to me on the spot that he was right about the zones the first time he confronted you.He should have had a copy of the regs on him or at least in his truck. I would of also pitched a fit about him coming in on you when he did. He could have waited for you to return from your stand to confront you. After all said and done, I would make sure that neither of them (particularly the one screaming in your face) ever worked as an agent again. His manor of treating you, right or wrong, was completely out of line. That alone should get him fired. I don't know a lot about law as it applies in a courtroom but if I had a guess I would bet any lawyer would love to get on board this train.;)

4. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

I have enlisted a lawyer. He came highly recommended by several buisiness men I know in Des Moines. I dropped 5k in his pocket yesterday....and said "sic-em!" We shall see.....

At this point I am expecting a written apology, and a lifetime residency. (My lawyer said this has been done on several occasions when CO's have crossed the line on out of state hunters.....I am obviously not the first to be treated like this in Iowa.....)

I might not get my money back right away, but I would get it back eventually by being able to buy resident tags, etc. which are much cheaper.

5. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Hell I would name the CO's in the suit as well. I hope you kick their ***!

6. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

i'm heading to iowa for the dec 1st opener also with 4 friends from 3 different states.....any chance you want to PM me the county your troubles were in, so i can avoid them:yes

7. stumper

stumper Refuge Member

Im afraid I would have ended up back in jail after I got back from court and wooped his butt!!!! :mad:

8. wingmastr23

wingmastr23 Elite Refuge Member

If you tell me where you are hunting.....I will tell you if you are "warm"...lol

9. deathglide

deathglide Refuge Member

any update on this ??????

10. mod 12

mod 12 Senior Refuge Member

I'm from Iowa, originally, and find this all very troubling. Dirt bags like this "game warden" give the state a bad name and their football teams do enough of that for everyone. I hope you nail his hide, get a public apology and monetary compensation. The game warden should be fired and not entitled to work in any LEO capacity. He's a bully and I loath bullies. Good luck.