Back from Iowa....Got Hosed!

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by wingmastr23, Nov 12, 2007.

1. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

I just love how most everybody complains and whines about CO's because of 1 bad experiance and talks about how bad they are. Truth of it is, what would the game and fish populations look like without them???? They have to be strict and harsh out there. You gotta remember that almost everyone they come across is carrying a gun.... and there are many people that take advantage of the wildlife and dont give 2 farts less about the regulations.

I'd like to see 1 southern Iowa county without any CO regulation for a year or two and then see what happens. The outcome wouldnt be good for the deer population (poaching galore!)

I am sure there are cases where CO's (and police officers) go overboard but I am guessing that alot of the bad experiances with CO's probebly happen for a reason.... I have been checked many times and have never had a bad experiance.

Just my 2 cents

2. Duckologist

Duckologist Elite Refuge Member

Sending private messages or emails is not publicizing the outcome. Put me on the list of recipients please.:tu

3. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Weird--I hunt Iowa spring and fall- east-west-and in the middle-- have never had anything but courtious treatment from the CO's there and only a couple of those--one time we killed a small deer caught in a fence and CO gave us an extra tag for it while he could have given us a bad time.

4. greenhead01

greenhead01 Senior Refuge Member

I can tell you what the population looks like with them, they can't kill their quota. They call in White Buffalo from Conneticut and pay them to thin the population rather than make it easier for the hunters to fill the quota.
    You are right that they have a tough job and all of them aren't bad, but I think as a whole they could be more supportive of those of us who are trying to be legal. Wingmastr23 and his group were doing everything right!

5. stackin_smilers

stackin_smilers Elite Refuge Member

Thats the CO's fault that hunters cant get their tags filled?!?! I have to say that is hard to believe. Iowa (at least where my girlfirends from) opened the deer season back up becaseu of the weather just before X-mas but I dont think that helped. hunters still couldnt get out.

6. jbird

jbird Senior Refuge Member

The only time I have ever heard of the IDNR bringing in professional sharpshooters to thin any herd is to thin the urban deer herds in some cities. Wasn't very successful. Now they have special urban anterless deer seasons for some of the larger cities like Cedar Rapids and I believe Des Moines. Heck I live in Cedar Rapids and on any given day I can have 20 to 30 deer in my back yard. I live next to one of the last crop fields in the city.

7. hauntown

hauntown Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it is because of people like this you are getting a hard time. :eek:

Just sayin. :cool:

8. greenhead01

greenhead01 Senior Refuge Member

Sorry for the long delay. Let me explain about population control. I lived in Iowa for 19 yrs. My parents still live there. There are farmers losing substantial amounts of crops due to overpopulation of deer. People have deer cleaning out gardens, flower beds, etc. Hitting them with cars. Why limit tags? And if you don't meet your quota, maybe think about restructuring the seasons. 15 days of shotgun? And the way their system is set up, to kill the max you would have to bow, shotgun, and muzzle loader hunt to be able to get all your tags. In Texas, you go to Walmart, buy your license(in state or out of state license) and you can hunt every season in every county. You can kill the limit (5 in some counties) all in bow season, all in gun season, or any combination. I can kill 3 in my county and go to West Texas and kill 2 more.
    I know that it isn't the COs that make the rules. But IDNR needs some changes. And yes jbird it was Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. Iowa City 2 or 3 times.
    And they kept the hunters out of parks until the people finally complained about tripping over so many dead deer in the winter time.
    The point is why make deer licenses, tags, seasons, zones, so difficult. It's as if they really don't want to kill them.
    By the way, the extra season barely got 15% of the quota. They had another extra season in January also, which many hunters didn't find out about until it was over. Evidently wasn't very successful either.
    You're right that the COs aren't responsible directly for the things I'm whining :cry about, but they are part of the organization that is.

9. Waders

Waders Elite Refuge Member

If anything happens again to somebody hunting out of state you shouldnt hesitate to get ahold of the USF&WS. What you were being accused of could have turned into felonies if you had crossed state lines with your supposed illegal deer. Tell the feds your story and what you are being threatened with and they should straighten out the state guys. I put the federal wardens number in my cel phone in case I ever have to deal with incompetent bureaucratic state guys again.