Backstrap? 4 or 5 different ones

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by downsouth, Dec 8, 2005.

1. downsouth

downsouth Refuge Member

Anyone have any good recipes for backstrap? Eat it fried and grilled all the time. Looking for new ways to cook it, or different recipes for the grill. DS

2. gjs4

gjs4 Senior Refuge Member

large cast iron...rosebud blow torch..olive oil and cajun seasoning..super hto pan..med-rare...phenominal..

3. ROUX-STER

ROUX-STER Senior Refuge Member

Slice it, wrap bacon around it and grill.

4. downsouth

downsouth Refuge Member

Both of those recipes sound excelent. How thin should I slice it ROUX-STER?

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Some times I just fry it but some times I roll it in Krusteaz Bake & Fry, salt and pepper.... very tasty.

6. 1GRN_HD

1GRN_HD Elite Refuge Member

Have you tried Italian dressing marinade yet? Soak it overnight and then grill it fast on high heat. Turn only once.

7. BullCook

BullCook Elite Refuge Member

the best way to do backstrap!!
    slice it finger thick, salt and pepper it, roll it in flour
    heat up ma's iron skillet, put a little dabble of oil in it
    Pan fry the backstrap madallions till they are browned
    Slice a sweet onion
    on a thick slice of Sour dough bread, lay on the mayo
    Put the cooked backstrap on the sourdough mayo'd slice and lay the onion on top.
    Cover with another slice of sourdough bread....................
    then call me my number is 1-800-bull:yes :)

[​IMG]

8. fireduck

fireduck Elite Refuge Member

I use the meat hammer on the backstrap just a little to make it good and flat. Roll it in a little flour with salt-pepper-garlic powder. Fry medium heat till good and brown on both sides. We had it in the duck blind yesterday with :tu dinner rolls- WE DID NOT SEE ANY DUCKS FOR THE NEXT 30 MINUTES:l We were very busy:tu Firefighter Kenny

9. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

I prefer to cook a section 6-10 inches long depending on how many people I'm feeding, rather than slicing it into steaks before cooking.

Start your grill heating up, very hot.

Get a good amount of fresh crushed peppercorns, some salt and finely minced garlic. A bit of sage or oregano is good too. Mix all that up and lay it on a plate. Either rub or spray a coat of oil onto the backstrap and roll it in the spice mix. It should coat the meat with enough spice to cover the meat over. It may help the spices to stick better if you spray more oil on the spice layer.

Place the meat directly over the flame for a couple minutes, turning it 1/4 turn until all sides are seared. Then, depending on your grill, either reduce the heat and slow-cook it over the flame, or move the meat to the side of the flame and cook it with indirect heat (my preference). Tent with foil for more even cooking. Turn once. Cooking time of course depends on if you are cooking a small whitetail backstrap or elk. For serving, I slice it into 1/4-1/2 inch thin steaks. They should still be pink in the middle.

10. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

I just rub it with olive oil(light0 and rub on some of my dry rub and let it set a while- then i grille it over fairly intense heat and baste with my BBQ Sc every few of minutes-when it's medium rare- we eat- veg done or not!!