Backstrap? 4 or 5 different ones

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by downsouth, Dec 8, 2005.

1. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

I'm with Peregrine. All our backstrap is cooked in 6 to 10 inch sections and sliced after cooking. You can still cater to individual tastes somewhat this way too. I like mine really rare so I take the middle slices, the wife and kids like theirs medium and medium rare so they get the ones towards the end.

I season mine and let it come up to room temperature before cooking. I preheat the oven to 500. I then rub the backstrap lightly with olive oil and put into a dry red hot cast iron pan. Sear one side til good and brown and then flip the loin and shove pan and all right away into oven. Time for 5 minutes for really rare and 10 minutes for nearly well done. Take out of pan and tent with foil and let sit for 5 minutes to "rest". Slice and serve.

2. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Hey Bullcook--It's been a while- hope you are feeling great! Nice to see your posts again.
    I do not Ever put mayo on a piece of "Hot" backstrap- it might jump up and slap me!
    Sjemac & Perigrine--As a matter of fact I leave all my meat in fairly large pieces even those I might cook as steaks and cut them when ready to cook- I feel I get better freezr life than if I cut steaks before storing it.

3. BullCook

BullCook Elite Refuge Member

hey Ralph, good to see you
    thst mayo is for sandwiches
    I agree, the bigger the better

4. skog

skog Senior Refuge Member

I like slicing it into strips and frying it with onions and peppers and making fajitas out of them.

skog

5. joel zadvorney

joel zadvorney Senior Refuge Member

Season roast with salt and pepper. Sear on all sides. Place in oven and cook till rare. Set aside to rest. In a new pan reduce beef stock by half, the longer and more concentraited the better. Make dark roux and add to reduced beef stock. Add sage( a dusting), whole peppercorns( a palm full) garlic and onion seasoning( I like fresh added to the stock) . Add a cup of whole cream last as it will curdle. Slice the roast thin as you can. The colder the roast the easier it is to slice. Add sliced meat into sauce and heat through without boiling. Serve hot over egg noodles or on toasted bread. A nice addition if served over noodles is roasted red peppers. (NOT GREEN)
    Joel Zadvorney

6. Shallowater

Shallowater Senior Refuge Member

Almost "OUT WEST" and heading that way shortly.
    I have to get back to the Texas Forum. You guys are making me hungry. :eek:

7. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

We culled a few does last weeked I pulling loins off of three. I soaked two is a combo of freash garlic [minced],soy, olive oil, black pepper and rosemry sprigs. I thensliced one three hour before cooking and wrapped them in bacon and then seared on the grill with hickory smoke and served.

The other was dusted in Chef Paul's and butter and blacked in a white hot skillet... It was all choked down with a cold beer.:tu Damn life is good.

8. SeniorCoot

SeniorCoot Elite Refuge Member

Last night I took some Moose BS and sliced into Tournedo sized pieces-rubbed them with olive oil and dry rub- go my skillet HOT and seared them for a couple of minutes- then added some brown sauce with added tomato basil sc and morel mushroomslices- simmered it for 3 min or so and served them with potato pancakes- buttered spinach with fennel.Nada left on plates.

9. Dogg

Dogg Senior Refuge Member

Coot I need to sit down and sample that. It sounds great. I may have to "Bootleg" that and try it on the wife and camp..:yes

10. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

start with a large center section of backstrap marinated in olive oil and rosemary. roll it open with a knife. lay down a thin layer of cooked bacon, shallots, crimini mushrooms, kosher salt, pepper, and garlic. roll back up and tie with bakers twine. sear/brown in pan used for bacon. finish in oven intil about 135 degrees. allow to sit at least 10 minutes before slicing. serve with a port sauce reduction made from a rue (sp) and comprised of tawny port, beef stock (reduced by half or more) shallots, peppercorns, and dijon mustard. strain and reduce. :tu :grvn :yes