Backwater 26.5 EFI review

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, May 8, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Got the new motor wet this morning! Calm canal and marsh, less than 5 mph wind, 65 degrees, amazing for south Florida in May! The motor starts right up and there is a very smooth power curve. Tubular, foam-filled frame is strong and hardly any vibration compared to my previous MB 27 HP LT. Idle was c. 1100 rpm (tiny tach 2A); smooth tracking and effortless steering up to 3000 rpm/16 mph, upon which the prop blew out. I used a supplied shim and this improved but still blew out; a second shim better but still prop kicked out. I was told you can break the shims in half and stack another but because only one of the supplied set of screw bolts that hold the tracer cavitation plate is long enough, I decided against this. A third shim should do the job, but will have to get longer screw bolts.
    My 1648 grizzly was carrying me (205#), ballast cooler and marine starting battery up front, along with a tool box. Motor came with a 9x7 prop; on my previous motor, a 27 MB LT, I found the 9x6 to run better 1-2 mph where I run; another new 26.5 owner also found that to be the case, time will tell. My last motor hit 19-20 mph with me and a full hunting load so if I can duplicate this I will be satisfied.
    The drive is a 59" SS swomp, unlike my previous longtails that were all 72"; since I used the versa mount suggested by Backwater, and installed this "inboard" style, another 4" was reduced. The turning radius is much, much better, and up until the blow out speed, driving was effortless, so my shoulder is happy! Despite the shimming setback, I am very happy, and if you are in the market for a new longtail or LT kit, Backwater is the ticket!

2. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Wow, Glades! You didn't buy a Copperhead shorttail?
    You bought another Longtail instead?----from here in Minnie?
    What in the world inspired you you to buy another longtail?
    If that's the case, what was wrong with the old Longtail?
    It sounds like you are really good at getting it dialed right in.

Ringbill

3. Glades Ranger

Very good engineers and folk up your way! After thirty years of longtailing the decision was easy. The marsh is shallow now as it has been historically and a shortail becomes more of a liability. I usually hunt solo so the need for speed is none, and I don't regret my purchase- my budget was also a big factor! Backwater's line are fairly priced compared to the competition. This EFI so far is great. I will try again this weekend to dial it in- I think the way I have the bump stop set is adding to the prop blowout. The old longtail was that, quite old and plenty of hours and was going to need an overhaul and I did not want more carb issues, and the refinements on the BW were a strong selling point; call it the dominating KISS philosophy and me, a swamp dinosaur.

4. Glades Ranger

Went out for the second boat trip this am. Listened to suggestions from other owners. The bump stop was the problem. I was finally able to hit 18.5 mph at 3470 rpms, ran very smooth, no prop blowout. I took out one shim and it was even better. Decided to leave the one shim in, this might not be necessary. I have the motor in the middle hole position for balance, might move it to the rear hole, that will move the motor almost two inches into the boat and should make it easier to push down on the tiller to raise the prop out of the water for starting (mercury switch requires you do this), as well as needed to clear any weeds that might raft on the cavitation plate. Just like my last motor (MB 27) I probably will run a bit better with a 9x6 prop, gain rpms and speed, maybe 2 mph more and then I will be most happy, but you bet I am grinning now. It was a great run, smooth tracking, easier turning, I am sold on this motor! 35 or 37 EFI would have been the choice if I had a bigger boat/load but this motor is plenty for me. I did not risk entering the marsh, real skinny right now, dangerous coral rock just under the surface and don't want to mess up anything right now, better wait till the rains come, big thumbs up to Backwater!!

5. Glades Ranger

Ran the motor today, changed the trailer bunks too. No shim this time, 7-10 mph wind SE, went down canal both east and west; 19.7 mph @3670 rpm going west, 20.3 mph @3800 rpm heading east! Cavitation plate ran at surface as advertised. Really cool. Going to order the 9x6 prop hoping to get another 1-2 mph (need backup prop too); throttle plate still has 1/2" of travel, longer screwbolt might see additional 200-300 rpms. After 20 hours running will switch to synthetic oil. Still want to move the motor up 1.5" to back hole to better balance it, and make it easier to push down on tiller. So far, EFI rocks!!

6. Ringbill

Hey Glades, it sounds like you've got yourself a winner
    Thumbs up there. I re-wired around the mercury 'safety switch', which makes life nicer .

Ringbill

7. Glades Ranger

I am happy, hoping another decade use of this longtail...eventually probably downsizing to a more manageable 23 shortail and a 14-15' hull or a skinny 16'. There are many times I wish I still had the first duck boat, that 1436, and I could put a 14 HP copperhead on it, sure was easy to hide and pole and load/unload from the trailer. I am just hoping the weather returns more to "normal,"' last June, typically our wettest month, saw almost no rain, and then we got loads of water in the fall and winter...right now I can only venture in to the marsh a 1/4 mile at most, it is very shallow. There was a lone roseate spoonbill by the ramp, I usually see them in small groups and never too close, that was cool. All the best, and hope the duck factories are in production!

8. Ringbill

Goslings & ducklings hatched out now & wild rice taking hold after germinating. Very dry up here. Water levels still ok, but 3-4 hottest months to go. Going out to scout a big new area that I've never been to----nothing better to do.
    I'm glad that I sold a lot of gear these last 2 years & got that new rig setup nicely last summer. Now I can load, unload, handle decoys, blind etc all alone when I need to---less & less other oldtimers to hunt with as these years clip on by.

Ringbill

9. Glades Ranger

True that, some friends have dropped out because of health, work, or are just not reliable. But we are lucky to get out and enjoy the marsh. Hoping I can visit your part of the country some day...

10. Ringbill

Yur welcome anytime you want to come this way. We can shoot Ringers!
    Had the boat out today with a younger guy who had a GPS & mine only goes 18. Mallard drakes are all flocked together now. Ducklings appearing. I'm very happy I can still enjoy what I love .