Backwater 26.5 EFI review

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Glades Ranger, May 8, 2016.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the invite! I was lucky to hunt in South Africa: spur-wing geese, cape teal, yellowbills, Egyptian geese...but I love those rocketing ringers! My wife is from Argentina and I would love to go there and go bird hunting! I have to believe that many who put down our ringbills clearly are not up to the task of shooting them down!:D

2. Glades Ranger

Finally the 9x6 prop arrived late yesterday, so I put it on and took the boat out this morning. 5 mph wind, otherwise very calm; cloudy and muggy, we are expecting a significant rain event down here. I putted out and after a few minutes warmup, I finally opened the throttle up. Reached 20.7 mph @4100 rpm per the GPS. Ran effortlessly at that speed, bumped 21 mph a few times. No prop blowout, no shims needed! Only a .4 mph gain but it held that speed better than the 9x7 at 20.3 mph. Time will tell with a hunting load. All in all, I am thrilled, much easier to run and turn than my previous MB LT. Come on, teal season!!

3. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I'm just running my MB as the factory shipped it. On my 16 ft Alumacraft, it recently ran (empty----no blind) at 18 mph with two of us & my dog Lucee.
    My motor runs about 3,500 rpm, & I'll have to try adjusting the trim to see how much that matters.

Ringbill

4. Glades Ranger

Ringbill, did you advance the throttle? It can be safely advanced so you get around 4100-4400 rpm out of the water. This should get you a couple more mph. If you don't have a spare prop, you can try what I did.

5. Ringbill

No Glades----I'm not familiar with that process.

6. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Alright, so I have been reading your thread and wondering how old are you guys? I hope to enjoy the marsh for many years after I can retire. Dad finally told me last year he was not going to buy a license. He was 90, 91 now. I'm going to give him another try this year!

7. Glades Ranger

My wife wants me to work till I am 90 but I differ...closing on 63 but 18 at heart. I treasure every day on the marsh. In a couple of years the hunting license will be minimal cost, will apply that to ammo or a good bottle of single malt.

8. Ringbill

I'm the same exact age as Glades, but retired. He lives in Florida, I live in Minnesota, very near to Canada's border. We both shoot mostly Ringers.
    Friends that hunt here in Minnie, complain of getting old & can't do this, don't want to do that. They're a little older than me. I tell them that they need to quit complaining----this is the healthiest we'll ever be. I had both hips replaced with artificials some years back. I definitely didn't intend on giving up my duckin', but no longer could drag boats & gear into remote bog lakes & woodie ponds. That's what I tell these guys----don't just quit. Modify & make adjustments so to continue hunting in some manner.
    I have & continue to do this. It must be simpler & fairly easy if we're going to continue to enjoy our duck hunting. Otherwise the hassles & work aren't going to be worth it. A number of them already quit. Others are closer.
    I'm nowhere near.!!

Ringbill

9. Glades Ranger

You're a good water fowling role model, Ringbill! I am handling my Type 2 diabetes well, through diet and exercise, and the new Backwater LT is making it a bit easier. I also have to be cordial and respectful to you otherwise I won't get any ringers down this way!:D My duck hunting mentor is going on year two in a wheelchair but that has not deterred him from hunting, albeit with some help from friends, and he is resolute about walking again. I am looking forward to teal season next month, skeeters and storms be damned! :tu

10. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Well, if it gets down to shooting ringers I am done:dv